Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which SAS book for enterprise guide?

1. Feb 5, 2016 #1
    My company has SAS enterprise guide 7.1 installed and I figured I want to take advantage to learn SAS programming.

Just browsing online, it appears that SAS Enterprise guide is a 'drag and drop' type software, but you can still have access to writing your own code....is that correct?

If so, is the syntax just like any other SAS software? Basically, I want to learn SAS, but I'm interested in the 'coding' aspect of it, what book should I get?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2016 #2

Ibix

Science Advisor

I don't use Enterprise Guide much, but yes, you can drag and drop to add nodes to a tree. One of the node types you can create is a code node, which is just a Base SAS program. From what I hear you'll need to be able to program in Base SAS to get the most out of EGuide, but you will need to understand the other node types too.

I can't recommend a book I'm afraid. I learnt Base SAS from my boss' code and I think I've told you everything I know about EGuide. :wink: There are a few other SAS users around who may be able to offer more suggestions - @DrDu and @andrewkirk off the top of my head.

4. Feb 6, 2016 #3
    Thanks! I think that makes sense. So to learn the basics of Eguide, I can get an EGuide book, but for the coding, I'll need to get a base SAS book?

5. Feb 6, 2016 #4

DrDu

Science Advisor

Sorry, never used EGuide myself and don't know anything about it.

6. Feb 7, 2016 #5

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You sound like you have a coding background. If so you might find this set of SAS notes of some use. I made them on the fly as I was teaching myself SAS while doing a project in it. I have a background in coding so I found all the internet introductions much too verbose and time-consuming to use, since they are aimed at non-coders.
    It's scrappy and extremely incomplete but, like with most software, once you get the general lie of the land, it becomes easy to quickly find any additional info by internet search, which is usually about just finding out the right keyword for an operation.
    While looking for that doc, I also found this doc in my directories. I can't remember where I got it, but it looks like it has useful introductory info that would complement the above.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook