Which slit/way at time of observation or passing slits?

In summary, in a single particle, double slit experiment, the which-slit decision is believed to be made when the particle is observed, rather than when it encounters the slits. The particle never actually travels through just one slit, but its detection makes it appear as if it did. This idea is supported by the concept that the photon carries "memories/states/factors" for both interference and non-interference at all times prior to detection/collapse. Additionally, the context of the experimental set-up determines whether the particle travels via both or one path. The role of our analysis approach in the outcomes of quantum mechanics is also highlighted, as it is our way of communicating with nature through the use of physics.
San K
in a single particle, double slit experiment

is there any way/experiment/argument that can tell if

the which-slit decision/finalization is made at the time A or time B below:

A) when the photon is observed (by a telescope etc), say a few microsecond after it has passed through the slits
or
B) when the photon encounters the slits

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure how experiments could confirm this one way or another but I believe the which slit "decision" is made when the particle is observed. In fact, the particle never travels through just one slit, it's just detected as if it did.

Here's a nice article about this
http://www.mathblog.ellerman.org/2011/11/a-common-qm-fallacy/

Last edited by a moderator:
Joncon said:
I'm not sure how experiments could confirm this one way or another but I believe the which slit "decision" is made when the particle is observed. In fact, the particle never travels through just one slit, it's just detected as if it did.

Here's a nice article about this
http://www.mathblog.ellerman.org/2011/11/a-common-qm-fallacy/

well said and good link, thanks Joncon.

I wonder if a photon goes through both slits does its energy/size/frequecy/amplitude halve? (In the two new wavefronts that emerge from the two slits)

or is it that just the probability gets "distributed"?

for example in mach zender when we block one path, we still record the photon with same energy, if it went through both paths then a layman would expect "half of the original photon energy" to be detected.

Last edited by a moderator:
San K said:
I wonder if a photon goes through both slits does its energy/size/frequecy/amplitude halve? (In the two new wavefronts that emerge from the two slits)

How could we ever know? Does a photon actually HAVE an energy/size/frequency/amplitude before it's detected?

It would seem to be an incredibly inefficient way for the universe to operate, if it had to split the photon up into an infinite number of parts (corresponding to the infinite number of paths it could take) and then join them all back together when it's detected!

It seems the photon carries "memories/states/factors" for both interference and non-interference at all times prior to detection/collapse.

The context of the experimental set-up determines whether the particle travels via both or one path. (Or so I believe)

Here's another way to think about it-- rather than imagining that the photon has to wait to know what questions we are asking before it can decide what to be, just recognize that physics is our way of, in essence, communicating with nature. So it is not the photon that needs to know what question we are asking, before it can answer-- it is we who need to know, when we receive an answer, what question we were asking that some detection is the answer to. To me, the way quantum behavior depends on the apparatus is a clear indicator of the role that our analysis approach is playing in the outcomes of quantum mechanics.

1. What is the "which slit/way" problem in physics?

The "which slit/way" problem, also known as the double-slit experiment, is a phenomenon in physics where a particle or wave can behave as both a particle and a wave at the same time. This creates a dilemma when trying to determine which path the particle or wave takes when passing through two slits, as it seems to behave differently depending on whether it is observed or not.

2. How does the "which slit/way" problem challenge our understanding of quantum mechanics?

The "which slit/way" problem challenges our understanding of quantum mechanics because it goes against our classical understanding of particles and waves. In classical physics, objects can only behave as one or the other, but the double-slit experiment shows that particles can exhibit characteristics of both, leading to the concept of wave-particle duality.

3. What happens when we observe the particle or wave in the "which slit/way" experiment?

When we observe the particle or wave in the "which slit/way" experiment, we collapse its wave function and force it to behave as either a particle or a wave. This means that by measuring or observing the particle, we are influencing its behavior and determining which slit it passes through.

4. Can we determine the path of the particle or wave in the "which slit/way" experiment without observing it?

No, we cannot determine the path of the particle or wave in the "which slit/way" experiment without observing it. This is because the act of observation itself affects the behavior of the particle, making it impossible to know its path without influencing it.

5. What implications does the "which slit/way" problem have for our understanding of reality?

The "which slit/way" problem has significant implications for our understanding of reality. It challenges the idea of a deterministic universe, where cause and effect are predictable, and instead suggests that the act of observation can change the outcome. It also raises questions about the nature of reality and how much of it is influenced by our perception and observation.