Which textbook to learn scattering theory from

In summary, the conversation discusses various textbooks for learning scattering theory in quantum mechanics. The suggested books include Sakurai, Merzbacher, Landau and Lifgarbagez, and Mott and Massey. The opinion is that it is beneficial to consult multiple textbooks and that each of the mentioned ones are worth considering. Landau and Lifgarbagez is praised for its introductory chapters, but may be too difficult for beginners. Sakurai may be a better option for first reading. The book "Scattering Theory of Waves and Particles" by Roger G. Newton is also recommended as a clear and careful resource. Weinberg's book on quantum field theory is also mentioned as a helpful resource, but it requires a good understanding of contour
alemsalem
I'm trying to learn scattering theory in quantum mechanics. and I'm trying to decide between Sakurai, Merzbacher and Landau.
I heard good things about Landau's books but I never looked at them.
any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know your suggestions, but if you've got the time, I would recommend Taylor's book about non-relativistic scattering theory as a foundation.

I did not study scattering theory much, but here is what I think:

It is always good to confront more than one good book. The books you mentioned are standard well-known textbooks, so every one is definitely worth looking into.

The book on quantum theory by Landau and Lifgarbagez is a very good one, particularly because of the very interesting introductory chapters where they explain also subtler points concerning Schroedinger equation and its solutions, density matrix etc.

However, when I came to scattering theory, L&L was too hard for me, I tried for few days but I did not get through. It requires quite a lot of math and is quite terse for a beginner. Sakurai may be better for first reading.

Also, this book may be of help:

N. F. Mott, H. S. W. Massey, Theory of Atomic Collisions, Oxford University Press, 1987

Serious scattering theory by definition requires rigged Hilbert space techniques and has, to my knowledge, not fully been completed, though chapters have been developed by Arno Böhm's pupils.

The complex calculus without worrying about topology should be the standard requirement to go to Merzbacher's or Sakurai's textbook.

Very careful and clear book:

Scattering Theory of Waves and Particles
Roger G. Newton

Courier Dover Publications, 1982 - 745 pages

Look at weinberg QFT , his chapter on scattering is clear and he treats the general situation in a concise manner , I think that you need to understand contour integration ,green functions and spherical harmonics to properly understand scattering . Also , L&L is very good

Likes gagan45arora

1. What is the best textbook to learn scattering theory from?

The best textbook to learn scattering theory from may vary depending on the individual's background and level of understanding. Some popular options include "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths and "Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications" by Nouredine Zettili.

2. Is there a textbook specifically for beginners in scattering theory?

Yes, there are several textbooks that are specifically geared towards beginners in scattering theory. Examples include "Scattering Theory: The Quantum Theory of Nonrelativistic Collisions" by John R. Taylor and "Quantum Mechanics: Non-Relativistic Theory" by L. D. Landau and E. M. Lifshitz.

3. Are there any online resources for learning scattering theory instead of using a textbook?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning scattering theory. Some popular options include video lectures on platforms like YouTube and online courses on websites like Coursera and edX.

4. Can I use a textbook on quantum mechanics to learn scattering theory?

Yes, many textbooks on quantum mechanics cover scattering theory as a topic. However, it is recommended to also use a textbook specifically focused on scattering theory for a more thorough understanding of the subject.

5. Are there any textbooks that cover advanced topics in scattering theory?

Yes, there are textbooks that cover advanced topics in scattering theory such as "Scattering Theory: Quantum Theory on Nonrelativistic Collisions" by John R. Taylor and "Scattering Theory: Unitarity, Analyticity and Crossing" by John R. Taylor and Olga S. Vincent.