1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which textbook to learn scattering theory from

1. Oct 9, 2012 #1
    I'm trying to learn scattering theory in quantum mechanics. and I'm trying to decide between Sakurai, Merzbacher and Landau.
    I heard good things about Landau's books but I never looked at them.
    any advice?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2012 #2

kith

Science Advisor

I don't know your suggestions, but if you've got the time, I would recommend Taylor's book about non-relativistic scattering theory as a foundation.

4. Oct 9, 2012 #3

Jano L.

Gold Member

I did not study scattering theory much, but here is what I think:

It is always good to confront more than one good book. The books you mentioned are standard well-known textbooks, so every one is definitely worth looking into.

The book on quantum theory by Landau and Lifgarbagez is a very good one, particularly because of the very interesting introductory chapters where they explain also subtler points concerning Schroedinger equation and its solutions, density matrix etc.

However, when I came to scattering theory, L&L was too hard for me, I tried for few days but I did not get through. It requires quite a lot of math and is quite terse for a beginner. Sakurai may be better for first reading.

Also, this book may be of help:

N. F. Mott, H. S. W. Massey, Theory of Atomic Collisions, Oxford University Press, 1987

5. Oct 9, 2012 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Serious scattering theory by definition requires rigged Hilbert space techniques and has, to my knowledge, not fully been completed, though chapters have been developed by Arno Böhm's pupils.

The complex calculus without worrying about topology should be the standard requirement to go to Merzbacher's or Sakurai's textbook.

6. Jan 29, 2013 #5

DrDu

Science Advisor

Very careful and clear book:

Scattering Theory of Waves and Particles
    Roger G. Newton

Courier Dover Publications, 1982 - 745 pages

7. Apr 24, 2013 #6
    Look at weinberg QFT , his chapter on scattering is clear and he treats the general situation in a concise manner , I think that you need to understand contour integration ,green functions and spherical harmonics to properly understand scattering . Also , L&L is very good

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted