Which way to obtain ##f(x)## from measuring ##x_i##

• Thread starter ChrisVer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Measuring
In summary, the conversation discusses two approaches for determining the value of g from multiple measurements of the period of a pendulum with a given uncertainty. The first approach involves calculating individual values of g from each period measurement and then taking the average and standard deviation. The second approach involves obtaining the average period and its standard deviation and using error propagation to calculate g with uncertainty. It is noted that the first approach is better if the relationship between g and T is linear, but can fail if the relationship is nonlinear. The conversation also mentions the importance of taking multiple period measurements at once to decrease uncertainty.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
I am having a question concerning multiple measurements of the period of a pendulum, for let's say the determination of [itex]g[/itex].
Let's say I am using a stopwatch with an uncertainty in time [itex]\delta t[/itex] and I measure 10 times the period of the pendulum: [itex]T_1, T_2,...,T_{10}[/itex].
Are the two following approaches equivalent?
WAY 1: determine the [itex]g_1, g_2, ...,g_{10}[/itex] from the periods and the [itex]\delta g[/itex] and then take the average+std.
WAY 2: obtain the average period [itex]T[/itex] and its std from the different measurements and calculate [itex]g \pm \delta g[/itex] from error propagation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know the relationship between g and T. If it's linear, the methods are equivalent. If not, the first way is better.

mathman said:
I don't know the relationship between g and T. If it's linear, the methods are equivalent. If not, the first way is better.

Sorry the relationship for the specific case is [itex] g(T) = \frac{(2 \pi)^2 l}{T^2}[/itex]
How did you deduce that for linear relationship the two ways are equivalent vs the 1st is better?

If g and T would be proportional, the conversion is just a constant scale factor, and it does not matter at which point you apply it.
If they are not, the transformation is nonlinear, if your distribution before is gaussian (or anything other that is reasonably well-behaved) it is probably not gaussian any more afterwards and can have funny effects. If your relative uncertainties are small this does not matter much, but with large uncertainties the second approach can fail completely.

Unrelated: You should not measure a single period. Measure 10 or even more in a single time measurement. That way your uncertainty goes down linearly with periods.

1. How do I obtain ##f(x)## from measuring ##x_i##?

The most common way to obtain ##f(x)## from measuring ##x_i## is by using a mathematical model or function. This involves using the measured values of ##x_i## as input for the model, and then calculating the corresponding values of ##f(x)##. The model can be chosen based on the type of data and the relationship between ##x_i## and ##f(x)##.

2. Can I obtain ##f(x)## directly from measuring ##x_i##?

In most cases, it is not possible to obtain ##f(x)## directly from measuring ##x_i##. This is because the measured values of ##x_i## only represent a limited set of data points, while ##f(x)## is a continuous function. Therefore, a mathematical model or function is needed to interpolate or extrapolate the values of ##f(x)## between the measured data points.

3. What are the different methods for obtaining ##f(x)## from measuring ##x_i##?

There are several methods for obtaining ##f(x)## from measuring ##x_i##, such as regression analysis, curve fitting, and interpolation. These methods use statistical or mathematical techniques to determine the relationship between ##x_i## and ##f(x)## and to estimate the values of ##f(x)## at different points. The choice of method depends on the type of data and the accuracy and precision required.

4. How accurate is the obtained ##f(x)## from measuring ##x_i##?

The accuracy of the obtained ##f(x)## from measuring ##x_i## depends on several factors, such as the quality of the measured data, the chosen mathematical model, and the method used to obtain ##f(x)##. It is important to carefully consider these factors and to perform a thorough analysis to ensure the accuracy of the obtained ##f(x)##. The accuracy can also be improved by increasing the number of measured data points.

5. Are there any limitations to obtaining ##f(x)## from measuring ##x_i##?

Yes, there are limitations to obtaining ##f(x)## from measuring ##x_i##. These include the accuracy and precision of the measured data, the complexity of the relationship between ##x_i## and ##f(x)##, and the limitations of the chosen mathematical model or method. It is important to carefully consider these limitations and to use appropriate techniques to minimize their impact on the obtained ##f(x)##.