Who are best manufacturers of training equipment for labs?

In summary, the discussion was about equipment for fundamental physics labs, specifically for mechanics, electricity and magnetism, geometrical, and thermodynamics labs. The conversation mentioned several brands, including Pasco Scientific, Sargent Welch, Fisher Scientific, Leybold, Fluke, Klinger, Newport, Phewe, Flinn, and Carolina. The speakers discussed their experiences with different suppliers and the importance of ordering enough equipment to last for years.
Dorea
We're going to equip our fundamental physics labs:
- Mechanics lab
- Electricity and magnetism lab
- Geometrical lab
- Thermodynamics lab

Which brand is qualified in your experience?

Physics news on Phys.org
The "best" supplier for you may depend on which country you're in. For introductory (first- and second-year university level) labs, we (in the USA) usually check Pasco Scientific first, because we're familiar with them. Other companies include Sargent Welch and Fisher Scientific.

Hey, Pasco seems cool.
@jtbell, It's not important which country, they usually work globally.

I also found Leybold (LD) that seems a great German brand.

Any company else?

Pasco and Vernier are among the most popular in the US. Both make a wide range of sensing equipment and interfaces. Of course, it can be very expensive to buy these sets (many thousands of dollars for a lab setup). And it can also depend on the exact labs you plan to do. Some schools rely on pre-made lab assignments, many others write their own.

Dorea said:
We're going to equip our fundamental physics labs:
- Mechanics lab
- Electricity and magnetism lab
- Geometrical lab
- Thermodynamics lab

Which brand is qualified in your experience?

We use mostly Pasco equipment, but we also have setups from Sargent scientific (e/m experiment); most of our multimeters/oscilloscopes are from Fluke (née Keithley); we also use some setups from Klinger (http://www.klingereducational.com/, mostly the Leybold X-ray stuff) and Newport (spectroscopy setups).

From my perspective, the most important thing is to make sure you order enough setups to last you for many years (don't forget spare parts!), otherwise as time goes on you have a bunch of mismatched setups and an ongoing repair issue.

Because of my scrupulosity, I'm working on the setups/items for several months! For example We finally chose a projectile launcher from Phewe brand with enough spare parts. I love http://vnr.st/v125/ but it's kind of an automate device, it calculates anythings!
p2131100_30.jpg

We're still working on others!
eri said:
Pasco and Vernier ..., Of course, it can be very expensive to buy these sets
I got two quotations from Leybold and Phywe, these germans are really more expensive than those US producers.

Andy Resnick said:
We use mostly Pasco equipment, but we also have setups from Sargent scientific (e/m experiment); most of our multimeters/oscilloscopes are from Fluke (née Keithley); we also use some setups from Klinger (http://www.klingereducational.com/, mostly the Leybold X-ray stuff) and Newport (spectroscopy setups).
We decided to purchase best stuff from different manufacturers.
Have you ever heard from http://www.flinnsci.com [Broken] and http://www.carolina.com/physical-earth-sciences/mechanics/10722.ct?mCat=10680 [Broken]?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dorea said:
<snip>We decided to purchase best stuff from different manufacturers.
Have you ever heard from Flinn and Carolina?

I have not- thanks for the links!

1. Who are considered the best manufacturers of training equipment for labs?

The best manufacturers of training equipment for labs are those that have established a reputation for creating high-quality, durable, and accurate equipment. Some of the top manufacturers in this field include Fisher Scientific, VWR International, Thermo Fisher Scientific, and Labconco.

2. What factors should I consider when choosing a manufacturer for lab training equipment?

When choosing a manufacturer for lab training equipment, it's important to consider factors such as the quality and durability of their products, their reputation in the industry, their customer service and support, and the range of equipment they offer. You should also consider your specific training needs and ensure that the manufacturer offers equipment that meets those needs.

3. Are there any industry standards for lab training equipment?

Yes, there are industry standards for lab training equipment. These standards are set by organizations such as the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) and the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM). It's important to choose a manufacturer that adheres to these standards to ensure the safety and accuracy of your training equipment.

4. What types of training equipment do the best manufacturers offer?

The best manufacturers of training equipment for labs offer a wide range of equipment to meet various training needs. This can include equipment for chemistry, biology, physics, and other scientific disciplines. Some common types of training equipment include microscopes, balances, incubators, pipettes, and safety equipment.

5. Can I customize lab training equipment from these manufacturers to meet my specific needs?

Yes, many manufacturers offer customization options for their lab training equipment. This can include adding specific features or functions to equipment, as well as creating custom designs or sizes. It's important to communicate your specific needs and requirements with the manufacturer to ensure that they can accommodate them.