Who Became the Youngest Professor in History?

• Thread starter kurt.physics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Professor
In summary, some notable young professors in the field of mathematics include Terrence Tao, who became a professor at the age of 24, and Erik Demaine, who became a professor at MIT at the age of 20 or 21. Another notable individual is Kim Ung-Yong, who completed his university studies and received a Ph.D at the age of 15. He also began his research work at NASA during his studies. While there may be doubts about his abilities at such a young age, his achievements are still impressive.
kurt.physics
Hello,

I am incredibly, curious. Who was the youngest professor? Also, generally what age do you become a professor of pure mathematics? And, I am going to uni at the age of 16, when should i become a professor?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Terrence Tao from Australia became a professor at 24, and received his first Phd at 20.

Erik Demaine is a professor of EECS (Electrical Engineering and Computer Science). He works mainly in computational geometry specifically folding problems. He was 20 or 21 when he got his professorship at MIT.

Kim Ung-Yong - He finished his university studies, eventually getting a Ph.D in physics at Colorado State University [1] before he was 15. In 1974, during his university studies, he began his research work at NASA[1].

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Ung-Yong

I think this guy wins the 'prodigy race', if what is said of him is true.

A child doing Calculus at the age of 3 ... amazing! True? lol, kinda crazy.

Calculus at the age of 3? How did his work look? I can't imagine someone that young can even draw an integral sign. I still have trouble with it. :(

Related to Who Became the Youngest Professor in History?

1. Who was the youngest person to become a professor?

The youngest person to become a professor was Alia Sabur, who was only 19 years old when she became a professor of engineering at Konkuk University in South Korea in 2008.

2. How old was the youngest professor when they were appointed?

Alia Sabur was only 19 years old when she was appointed as a professor at Konkuk University in South Korea in 2008.

3. What field of study was the youngest professor in?

Alia Sabur was a professor of engineering at Konkuk University in South Korea when she became the youngest professor in 2008.

4. Has anyone become a professor at an even younger age since Alia Sabur?

As of now, there has not been anyone who has become a professor at a younger age than Alia Sabur.

5. What is the average age for someone to become a professor?

The average age for someone to become a professor varies depending on the field of study and the country, but it is typically between 30-40 years old.