Who does Finite Element Modelling?

In summary, the conversation is about finding someone who can help create a finite element solution for a small firm. The person asking for help is not sure who would have the expertise for this task, and is considering hiring a consulting company or a freelance engineer. There is also discussion about different types of engineers who specialize in specific areas of FEM.
bildsoe
Hi

Could anyone point me in the right direction?

I'm employed at a small firm, only three employees at the time being. Our competencies spans from architecture to programming. We're in need of somebody who can help us create a finite element solution which we can implement in the cad software we use.

Who does Finite Element modelling? A building engineer? A Mathematician?

I'm a beginner at both math and physics so I don't know if making a finite element model of a system is a complicated task or if its easy for a professional?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Usually mechanical engineers have this interest and expertise. You might google for a consulting company that specializes in FEM and farm your work out to them.

Within mechanical engineers, they would have their expertise...In my company we have guys that do structural/deformation/fatigue/crack analysis, and we have different set of guys that do fluid dynamics. Then, of course, you have the electrical engineer that might need to do electromagnetic/electrostatic analysis, etc.

Thanks for the answers. I found two solutions. One was a site where I can hire freelance engineers for a project. I found several guys that does Finite Element Analysis. Or else I can use on of the renowned companies.

Finite Element Modelling (FEM) is a complex and specialized field that requires knowledge and expertise in both mathematics and engineering. Typically, it is done by professionals such as engineers, mathematicians, and scientists who have a strong background in these fields. It requires a deep understanding of mathematical concepts, computer programming, and engineering principles to create accurate and reliable FEM solutions.

In your case, it would be best to hire a professional with experience in FEM to help you create a solution that can be implemented in your CAD software. They will have the necessary skills and knowledge to understand your needs and create a tailored solution for your specific project.

It is not recommended for beginners, especially those without a strong background in math and physics, to attempt creating FEM solutions. It is a complex task that requires a high level of expertise, and any mistakes or inaccuracies can have significant consequences on the final results.

I hope this helps answer your question and guide you in the right direction. Good luck with your project!

1. Who can perform Finite Element Modelling?

Finite Element Modelling can be performed by anyone with a solid understanding of mathematics and physics. Typically, it is done by engineers, scientists, and researchers who have been trained in this specific method of analysis.

2. What software is used for Finite Element Modelling?

There are various software programs available for Finite Element Modelling, such as ANSYS, Abaqus, and COMSOL. Each program has its own unique features and capabilities, so it is important to choose the one that best suits your needs.

3. What are the advantages of using Finite Element Modelling?

Finite Element Modelling allows for highly accurate and detailed simulations of real-world systems. It can help identify potential weaknesses or failure points, optimize designs, and reduce the need for physical prototypes. It is also a cost-effective and time-efficient option for complex analyses.

4. What are the limitations of Finite Element Modelling?

While Finite Element Modelling is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It relies heavily on the accuracy of input data and assumptions, so if these are incorrect, the results may not be accurate. Additionally, it can be computationally intensive and requires significant computing power and resources.

5. What industries use Finite Element Modelling?

Finite Element Modelling is used in a wide range of industries, including aerospace, automotive, civil engineering, biomechanics, and materials science. It is a versatile method that can be applied to nearly any system or structure, making it a valuable tool for many different fields of research and development.