Physics PhDs | University/College Physics Programs

• Thread starter Nenad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd
In summary, Reilly Atkinson is a high school student who is interested in physics and mathematics. He is planning on pursuing a mathematics degree at a two year college and then transferring to a four year college to pursue a Phd.
Nenad
Im just curious who on this site is taking a university/college physics program or has a phd.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I'm engineering ugrad. Kinda like a cousin.

I’ll be starting University in September. I won’t pick a Major until winter but I’m going for an Honours Specialization in Planetary Science with a Minor in Astronomy. I’ll see if I want to continue school after that.

I’d love to get a job working on a robotic planetary/moon exploration mission. Ooo that’d be sweet. :biggrin:

I have a Ph.D. and am a physics professor.

I am not even in University yet.

I'm starting my Physics undergrad in the fall, planning on entering a PhD program after finishing the BS.

Ph.D. in 2000 (theoretical atomic)

Got the BS in physics + MBA econ

work in engineering

what schools did u guyes attend? I am going into mechanical engineering at Waterloo Canada. I hope to get my PHd.

Waterloo is a very good school, especially for engineering and math, plus it has a very nice campus. Good luck. It's all co-op for engineering, isn't it?

I'm starting at UWO (University of Western Ontario) in September. Was somewhat annoyed when I found out they stopped offering Astronomy as a Major, but I'm glad now because I don't think I would have considered Honours Specialization in Planetary Sci. if they had.

I've got my BA in mathematics and I'm 2 credits from a BA in physics (its a lab). I'm starting my MA in mathematics this fall.

Kevin

PhD in Physics specialty in Photonics

Halfway through a PhD in Experimental Condensed Matter Physics.

wow, lots of smart people on this site. I hope to get my engineering degree, and then go into physics. I am doing engineering in order to get a good base.

I'm in the third year of my physics undergrad at UC Santa Barbara. And wow, I didn't know we had so many PHDs on this site. Thats pretty cool.

PhD in Atomic Physics

Soon to have a BSc in both physics & mathematics. Starting MSc program in physics next year.

Nenad said:
wow, lots of smart people on this site. I hope to get my engineering degree, and then go into physics. I am doing engineering in order to get a good base.

ya kno what they say..

a scientist can become a good engineer..
but an engineer will never be a good scientist :biggrin:

My PhD is in theoretical particle physics/QED (1965) and I'm a retired physics prof.
Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

I hope that saying isn't true.

Im still in high school starting my senior year this fall. I am quite intersted in physics and astronomy i learn a lot by reading but public school systems don't do a good job in even teaching the basics. I was wondering what books i could read to further my education in the math and science area. I've had the basics chemistry biology whatnot. Calc physics and biochem are this year.

I hope to attain a PhD in Mathematics. I find that Differential Geometry is an area with much needed progression and I hope to specialize in such area.

As of right now I am going for a major in Mathematics at a two year college. I am also taking University Physics I and University Physics II, which are Calculus based Physics courses. I will then transfer to a four year college and continue my education and plan to enter the Phd Program.

I'm really great at Pure Mathematics, however I have a hard time with physics. If I were to decide to specialize in Physics, I think I would specialize in QFT or GR. Other then that, I am really interested in wormhole dynamics worked by Morris and Thorne. I think Solutions to GR equations are interesting.

FAQ: Physics PhDs | University/College Physics Programs

1. What is a Physics PhD program?

A Physics PhD program is a graduate degree program that prepares students for careers in research and teaching in the field of physics. It typically takes 4-5 years to complete and involves coursework, research, and a dissertation.

2. What are the prerequisites for a Physics PhD program?

Prerequisites for a Physics PhD program vary by university, but generally include a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, strong academic performance, and letters of recommendation. Some programs may also require applicants to have research experience and a strong understanding of advanced mathematics.

3. What can I do with a Physics PhD degree?

A Physics PhD degree can lead to a variety of careers, including research positions in academia, government, or industry. Many graduates also pursue careers in teaching at the college or university level. Additionally, a PhD in physics can open doors to careers in fields such as engineering, finance, and data science.

4. How do I choose the right Physics PhD program for me?

When choosing a Physics PhD program, it is important to consider factors such as the research areas and expertise of the faculty, the availability of funding and resources, and the program's reputation and ranking. It is also helpful to visit the campus, talk to current students and faculty, and consider the location and cost of the program.

5. How competitive is the admissions process for Physics PhD programs?

The admissions process for Physics PhD programs can be highly competitive, as these programs typically have a limited number of spots available and attract many qualified applicants. It is important to have a strong academic background, research experience, and strong letters of recommendation to increase your chances of being accepted into a program.