1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Who is a quantum physicist

1. Mar 19, 2014 #1
    well first of all i thought he/she is just a regular guy who works in a physics lab or something.but when i googled it i found much more.then wukunlin told me that it is not a professional title at all and that anybody could call himself/herself as one if he knew physics.but seriously now i dont understand what does he/she do in real life in his profession?another thing is that in yahoo answers there was an answer that anybody who had completed engineering in any field could become a quantum physicist.so only i thought of taking computer science.now i completely don't understand how to become one.all i now know is that a quantum mechanist is a person who is an expert in the theory of relativity.another thing i googled about what kind of a job a person who studied quantum mechanics could take and what salary they would get.i found that their job would be much research oriented(http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20111229123226AA1CXIA)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2014 #2

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Quantum physics is an topic in physics/.
    However, it is such a huge area with applications is virtually all research areas that no one can actually work on everthing that falls under the "quantum" umbrella.

Hence, I don't know of anyone who labels himself/herself a "quantum physicist" because that does not really mean anything. Most people would just call themselves physicsts with an interest in for example solid state physics, nuclear magnetic resonance or quantum computing (just ot mention three areas).

Also, general relativity (GR) is actually one of very few areas which does NOT use quantum physics as such. Hence, GR is mainly used by cosmologists or astrophysicists.

4. Mar 19, 2014 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You have two open active threads already. Please post there. Locked.

Also,

If you base the rest of your life off an answer in yahoo answers, you're gonna have a bad time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook