What Does a Quantum Physicist Actually Do?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of being a "quantum physicist" and how it is a broad term that can encompass many different areas of study within physics. The speaker also mentions that it is not a professional title and anyone can call themselves a quantum physicist if they have knowledge of physics. Additionally, they mention the confusion surrounding what a quantum mechanist actually does in their profession and the types of jobs and salaries that may be available in this field. The conversation also touches on the relationship between quantum physics and general relativity.
smart_worker
well first of all i thought he/she is just a regular guy who works in a physics lab or something.but when i googled it i found much more.then wukunlin told me that it is not a professional title at all and that anybody could call himself/herself as one if he knew physics.but seriously now i don't understand what does he/she do in real life in his profession?another thing is that in yahoo answers there was an answer that anybody who had completed engineering in any field could become a quantum physicist.so only i thought of taking computer science.now i completely don't understand how to become one.all i now know is that a quantum mechanist is a person who is an expert in the theory of relativity.another thing i googled about what kind of a job a person who studied quantum mechanics could take and what salary they would get.i found that their job would be much research oriented(http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20111229123226AA1CXIA)

Physics news on Phys.org
Quantum physics is an topic in physics/.
However, it is such a huge area with applications is virtually all research areas that no one can actually work on everything that falls under the "quantum" umbrella.

Hence, I don't know of anyone who labels himself/herself a "quantum physicist" because that does not really mean anything. Most people would just call themselves physicsts with an interest in for example solid state physics, nuclear magnetic resonance or quantum computing (just ot mention three areas).

Also, general relativity (GR) is actually one of very few areas which does NOT use quantum physics as such. Hence, GR is mainly used by cosmologists or astrophysicists.

You have two open active threads already. Please post there. Locked.

Also,

smart_worker said:
wanother thing is that in yahoo answers there was an answer that

If you base the rest of your life off an answer in yahoo answers, you're going to have a bad time.

Related to What Does a Quantum Physicist Actually Do?

1. Who is considered a quantum physicist?

A quantum physicist is a scientist who studies the behavior and interactions of particles at the quantum level, which is the smallest level of energy and matter in the universe. This includes studying concepts such as quantum mechanics, quantum field theory, and quantum computing.

2. What qualifications are needed to become a quantum physicist?

To become a quantum physicist, one typically needs a Bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, followed by a Master's degree and a Doctorate in quantum physics or a specialized area of quantum physics. Strong mathematical and analytical skills are also essential.

3. What are the common job responsibilities of a quantum physicist?

A quantum physicist may work in a variety of industries, including academia, research, and technology. Their job responsibilities may include conducting experiments, analyzing data, developing theories, and applying quantum principles to solve real-world problems.

4. What are some famous quantum physicists?

Some well-known quantum physicists include Albert Einstein, Erwin Schrödinger, Werner Heisenberg, and Niels Bohr. Other notable scientists in the field include Richard Feynman, Stephen Hawking, and Max Planck.

5. What are the key concepts in quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a broad and complex field, but some key concepts include wave-particle duality, superposition, entanglement, and uncertainty principle. These concepts help explain the behavior of particles at the quantum level and have led to groundbreaking discoveries in science and technology.