Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Who was the first black US president?

1. Jun 7, 2008 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

...according to historians?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2008 #2
  4. Jun 7, 2008 #3
    Mind if I cheated?

And even more interesting...

5. Jun 7, 2008 #4
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2008
  6. Jun 7, 2008 #5
    Having a distant ancestor who was Black does not make one Black. The "one drop" rule was a peculiar perversion of biology that arose during the Jim Crow days. I had an ancestor who "immigrated" to England at Hastings in 1066; does that make me French-American? I think not.

7. Jun 7, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Under the Articles of Confederation, the "president" was NOT the head of a separate executive branch. He was, essentially, in charge of all the secretaries and other assistants who did the day to day running of the (very small) central government. All actual "Governing" was done by the congress or a sub-committee that stayed in Philadelphia when the congress was not in session.

8. Jun 7, 2008 #7

I had many ancestors who immigrated out of Africa (there ancestral home for generations--a few generations before 1066).

9. Jun 7, 2008 #8
    PS
    (...a few generations before 1066)* ----maybe about 3000 generations

10. Jun 7, 2008 #9
    Obama is only half black and the persons mentioned in the article I linked are all a quarter to half. Obama just looks "more black".

Yes. That and other things are adressed in the John Hanson (Myths) article aswell.

{Thank you Russ}

11. Jun 7, 2008 #10
    And why all of this matters ?

12. Jun 7, 2008 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why does anything matter?

13. Jun 7, 2008 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

According to John McLaughlin, the answer is Warren G Harding.

14. Jun 7, 2008 #13
    Why do you think it's important to know if he's going to become the first black president ? (or not.)

15. Jun 7, 2008 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is a matter of history.

I might ask: What you are afraid of? You seem defensive.

16. Jun 7, 2008 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I find it all to be more than a bit amusing. The idea that Warren G Harding was black about made me bust a gut.

17. Jun 7, 2008 #16
    I'm just curious. I follow the American elections from Europe, and I find a bit strange that we often refer to Obama as the "black candidate", or Clinton as the "woman candidate". I understand that people are influenced by these physical traits, but I don't really grasp why it has to go so deep (and that might be just an impression). I don't have any particular opinion about that, mostly because I don't know how Americans are influenced by the issue.

18. Jun 7, 2008 #17
    WRONG!!!

19. Jun 7, 2008 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah, I see. Well, the fact that we have never [knowingly] had a black or female President speaks to the significance that race and sex have had. So what make it significant is the fact that it will no longer be significant. Many black leaders view this as the final death rattle of institutionalized racism. Many believe that as of right now, we are living in Martin Luther King's dream.

20. Jun 7, 2008 #19

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Don't forget that it hasn't been that long since blacks and women weren't even allowed to vote in the US.

21. Jun 7, 2008 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Haha, so it would seem.

BYE BYE!!!

btw, Tsu and I say that and give the McL waive to each other when one of us is leaving.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?