1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why a generator slow down with resistive loading?

1. May 30, 2007 #1
    anyone here know why a generator slow down with resistive loading ?

i did an experiment and my results showed that when i loaded the generator more and more the frequency dropped from 50Hz to about 47Hz
    (power factor was unity all the time)

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2007 #2

ranger

Gold Member

Consider the induced current in the coil as a result of the turning of the armature. [Read up on the motor effect]. This current experiences a force that is opposite in direction to the motion that induced the current. So this means that when we add a load, more has to be supplied; more current in the coil; a stronger force acts on the rotor but in a direction that opposes the original motion; thus its harder for the motor to turn.

4. May 31, 2007 #3
    but why this doesnt happen when you load using capacitive or inductive loads?

5. Jun 2, 2007 #4
    because capacitative and inductive loads don't have resistance, only reactance, they don't dissipate power

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook