Why Are Dipole Forces Not Collinear in a Uniform Electric Field?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Masafi
Messages
58
Reaction score
0
I have attached the question, and the answer. I don't understand the answer given.
 
Attachments
Physics news on Phys.org
Masafi said:
I have attached the question, and the answer. I don't understand the answer given.

I agree that the answer is a bit obtuse, but do you understand how there is a torque on an electric dipole in an E-field? You can draw the F=qE force vectors if that helps...
 
berkeman said:
I agree that the answer is a bit obtuse, but do you understand how there is a torque on an electric dipole in an E-field? You can draw the F=qE force vectors if that helps...

It is an uniform electric field, but the forces are not collinear... Why is this?
 
Masafi said:
It is an uniform electric field, but the forces are not collinear... Why is this?

The forces are parallel when the dipole is sideways to the field, and colinear after the dipole aligns with the field. Can you draw the forces on a dipole, and describe what those forces will do to the dipole?