Why Are India's Transmission Voltages in Multiples of 11?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 7K views
cutiermn
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
In India why the transmission level voltages are in multiiples of 11 ?

Ex:
440 V, 1.1kV, 6.6kV, 11kV, 33kV, 66kV, 110kV, 220kV, 440kV
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
it's look like that they used the same matricial patern of the resistances
 
Truthlover said:
it's look like that they used the same matricial patern of the resistances

how u r saying... what do u mean by matricial patern, ? can u explain please
 
what i mean is that it's seem like they used the same valors of those used on the resistance. Like 110 ohms or 44kohms
 
Truthlover said:
what i mean is that it's seem like they used the same valors of those used on the resistance. Like 110 ohms or 44kohms

No, that wouldn't be the reason. To cutiermn, I don't know why they use those values. Certainly 110, 220, 440Vrms are pretty standard values used in other parts of the world. I don't know the rationale for the higher voltage choices, though.
 
berkeman said:
No, that wouldn't be the reason. To cutiermn, I don't know why they use those values. Certainly 110, 220, 440Vrms are pretty standard values used in other parts of the world. I don't know the rationale for the higher voltage choices, though.

whether it has any relation with transformer output voltage... because generally transformer output equation deals with 3.33 . So it may be the reason. Am i correct
 
Truthlover said:
what i mean is that it's seem like they used the same valors of those used on the resistance. Like 110 ohms or 44kohms

That may not be reason. because resistance is not a constant one because the transmission line lenghts are varying. so u can't say like that
 
cutiermn said:
In India why the transmission level voltages are in multiiples of 11 ?

Ex:
440 V, 1.1kV, 6.6kV, 11kV, 33kV, 66kV, 110kV, 220kV, 440kV
That's a good question. I did some searching on how transmission line voltages are chosen. The only thing I could find was a little history on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_power_transmission#History". I guess there are no world standards and depends on the history of the region.
 
Last edited by a moderator: