Why Are India's Transmission Voltages in Multiples of 11?

In summary: I'm not sure why they chose those particular values, but it's something to think about. 440 V, 1.1kV, 6.6kV, 11kV, 33kV, 66kV, 110kV, 220kV, 440kVIn summary, the transmission level voltages in India are in multiiples of 11 because they used the same matricial patern of the resistances.
cutiermn
In India why the transmission level voltages are in multiiples of 11 ?

Ex:
440 V, 1.1kV, 6.6kV, 11kV, 33kV, 66kV, 110kV, 220kV, 440kV

Engineering news on Phys.org
it's look like that they used the same matricial patern of the resistances

Truthlover said:
it's look like that they used the same matricial patern of the resistances

how u r saying... what do u mean by matricial patern, ? can u explain please

what i mean is that it's seem like they used the same valors of those used on the resistance. Like 110 ohms or 44kohms

Truthlover said:
what i mean is that it's seem like they used the same valors of those used on the resistance. Like 110 ohms or 44kohms

No, that wouldn't be the reason. To cutiermn, I don't know why they use those values. Certainly 110, 220, 440Vrms are pretty standard values used in other parts of the world. I don't know the rationale for the higher voltage choices, though.

berkeman said:
No, that wouldn't be the reason. To cutiermn, I don't know why they use those values. Certainly 110, 220, 440Vrms are pretty standard values used in other parts of the world. I don't know the rationale for the higher voltage choices, though.

whether it has any relation with transformer output voltage... because generally transformer output equation deals with 3.33 . So it may be the reason. Am i correct

Truthlover said:

That may not be reason. because resistance is not a constant one because the transmission line lenghts are varying. so u can't say like that

cutiermn said:
In India why the transmission level voltages are in multiiples of 11 ?

Ex:
440 V, 1.1kV, 6.6kV, 11kV, 33kV, 66kV, 110kV, 220kV, 440kV
That's a good question. I did some searching on how transmission line voltages are chosen. The only thing I could find was a little history on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_power_transmission#History". I guess there are no world standards and depends on the history of the region.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Why Are India's Transmission Voltages in Multiples of 11?

What is transmission level voltage?

Transmission level voltage is the amount of electrical potential difference between two points in a power grid. It is typically measured in kilovolts (kV) and is used to transmit electricity over long distances from power plants to local distribution networks.

Why is transmission level voltage important?

Transmission level voltage is important because it allows electricity to be transmitted efficiently over long distances. Higher voltages result in lower electrical losses, which means more electricity can reach its intended destination. It also reduces the need for additional infrastructure, such as transmission lines, which can be costly and have negative impacts on the environment.

What are the typical ranges for transmission level voltage?

The typical range for transmission level voltage is between 69 kV and 765 kV. However, some systems may use higher voltages, up to 1,200 kV, for long-distance transmission.

What is the difference between transmission level voltage and distribution level voltage?

Transmission level voltage is used for long-distance transmission of electricity, while distribution level voltage is used for delivering electricity to homes and businesses. Distribution level voltage is typically lower, ranging from 4 kV to 33 kV, and is used for shorter distances.

What are the safety considerations for working with transmission level voltage?

Working with transmission level voltage can be dangerous and requires proper training and precautions. Workers must follow strict safety protocols, including using appropriate personal protective equipment and following lockout/tagout procedures. Additionally, transmission lines should be clearly marked and kept clear of any obstructions to prevent accidental contact.