Why are less people taking higher edu phys?

• Thread starter alias25
  • Start date
In summary, the decline of people taking physics at further and higher education is because there are not many good qualified physics teachers in many schools.
alias25
why are the number of people taking physics at further and higher education decreasing? it was on the news. is there any particular reason, cause i think that's sad...

Physics news on Phys.org
Alias25,

Do you have any reports to back up this statement? I am not sure that it is true (not trying to say that what you are saying is false, I truly don't know).
I don't have time to search through this stuff right now but for the US there is this information:
http://www.aip.org/statistics/trends/emptrends.html

I know you are in the UK, so there may be a significant difference in the numbers between the UK and the US, but my hunch is that there will not be. Just a hunch.

Oh yeah- don't believe everything you hear on the news or read in the papers. Do a little research and come to your own conclusions- it will make things much more meaningfull and concrete when evaluating the truthfulness of things.

Cheers,
Ryan

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he was referring to this: http://education.independent.co.uk/news/article328266.ece

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't really think of a reason for the decline at the moment. The part about a quarter of teachers not having a degree is pretty alarming, and that'a only going to get worse for the next few years it seems :(

Maybe it's got something to do with too much stress in earlier years now being put on stupid things like Key Skills, and a general drift away from technical subjects like Physics in favour of vocational ones (or so I've heard)?

The answer is real simple. Sadly, people are going into engineering or chemistry. There are more jobs for these professions. I'm a engineer and I'm realizing that I'm more of a physicist due to my insatiable curiosity. I realize that physicists don't do it for the money, but many engineers do engineering for the money.

Modey3

Engineer of what field, Modey?

but many engineers do engineering for the money.

I know when I get my job, I'll be doing it for the money ( of course I'm purposely omitting "I'm doing it for the love of it".) I'm making way too many sacrifices now > mentally, physically, emotionally, and socially. And for that, it better pay off in the long run.

I'm a Materials Engineer z-component.

thanks....I had great physics teachers I guess I was lucky. that article says that there arn't many good qualified physics teachers in many schools.

Related to Why are less people taking higher edu phys?

1. Why is there a decline in the number of people pursuing higher education in physical sciences?

The decline in the number of people pursuing higher education in physical sciences is due to a variety of factors. One reason could be the high cost of tuition and the increasing burden of student loans. Another factor could be the perception that jobs in physical sciences may not be as profitable or in demand compared to other fields. Additionally, there may be a lack of exposure and encouragement for students to pursue physical sciences in schools and communities.

2. Are there any job opportunities for those with a degree in physical sciences?

Yes, there are various job opportunities for individuals with a degree in physical sciences. These can include positions in research and development, environmental science, healthcare, technology, and many more. Many industries value individuals with a strong background in physical sciences and there is a growing demand for these skills in the job market.

3. How do the job prospects in physical sciences compare to other fields?

The job prospects in physical sciences may not be as high as other fields such as business or computer science, but they are still promising. The demand for individuals with a strong understanding of physical sciences is expected to grow in the coming years, especially in fields such as renewable energy, environmental conservation, and healthcare.

4. Is the curriculum for physical sciences too difficult for students?

The curriculum for physical sciences can be challenging, but it is designed to provide students with a strong foundation in scientific principles and critical thinking skills. With dedication and hard work, students can succeed in this field. Many universities also offer support services such as tutoring and study groups to help students excel in their studies.

5. Can a degree in physical sciences lead to a successful and fulfilling career?

Yes, a degree in physical sciences can lead to a successful and fulfilling career. Not only does it provide a strong foundation in scientific concepts, but it also teaches valuable skills such as problem-solving, data analysis, and critical thinking. These skills are highly sought after in many industries and can lead to a fulfilling and rewarding career in a variety of fields.