Why are linear equations usually written down as matrices?

In summary, matrices are a more convenient way of writing systems of linear equations and also offer the advantage of using matrix inverses to solve certain systems. They simplify calculations and make it easier to keep track of variables.
japplepie
I've been taught that for any system of linear equations, it has a corresponding matrix.

Why do people sometimes use systems of linear equations to describe something and other times matrices?

Is it all just a way of writing things down faster or are there things you could do to matrices that you couldn't do to linear equations?

Physics news on Phys.org
japplepie said:
I've been taught that for any system of linear equations, it has a corresponding matrix.

Why do people sometimes use systems of linear equations to describe something and other times matrices?

Is it all just a way of writing things down faster or are there things you could do to matrices that you couldn't do to linear equations?
Mostly matrices are a shorthand way of writing a system of linear equations, but there is one other advantage for certain systems : the ability to use a matrix inverse to solve the system.

For example, suppose we have this system:
2x + y = 5
x + 3y = 5

This system can be written in matrix form as:
##\begin{bmatrix} 2 & 1 \\ 1 & 3 \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} x \\ y\end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} 5 \\5 \end{bmatrix}##
Symbolically, the system is Ax = b, where A is the matrix of coefficients on the left, and b is the column vector whose entries are 5 and 5. (x is the column vector of variables x and y.)

Because I cooked this example up, I know that A has an inverse; namely ##A^{-1} = \frac 1 5 \begin{bmatrix} 3 & -1 \\ -1 & 2 \end{bmatrix}##
If I apply this inverse to both sides of Ax = b, I get ##A^{-1}Ax = A^{-1}b = \frac 1 5 \begin{bmatrix} 3 & -1 \\ -1 & 2 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} 5 \\5 \end{bmatrix}##
##= \begin{bmatrix} 2 \\1 \end{bmatrix}##

From this I see that x = 2 and y = 1. You can check that this is a solution by substituting these values in the system of equations.

Likes japplepie and suremarc
Mark44 said:
Mostly matrices are a shorthand way of writing a system of linear equations, but there is one other advantage for certain systems : the ability to use a matrix inverse to solve the system.

For example, suppose we have this system:
2x + y = 5
x + 3y = 5

This system can be written in matrix form as:
##\begin{bmatrix} 2 & 1 \\ 1 & 3 \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} x \\ y\end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} 5 \\5 \end{bmatrix}##
Symbolically, the system is Ax = b, where A is the matrix of coefficients on the left, and b is the column vector whose entries are 5 and 5. (x is the column vector of variables x and y.)

Because I cooked this example up, I know that A has an inverse; namely ##A^{-1} = \frac 1 5 \begin{bmatrix} 3 & -1 \\ -1 & 2 \end{bmatrix}##
If I apply this inverse to both sides of Ax = b, I get ##A^{-1}Ax = A^{-1}b = \frac 1 5 \begin{bmatrix} 3 & -1 \\ -1 & 2 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} 5 \\5 \end{bmatrix}##
##= \begin{bmatrix} 2 \\1 \end{bmatrix}##

From this I see that x = 2 and y = 1. You can check that this is a solution by substituting these values in the system of equations.
I see, thank you very much!

Essentially, matrices allow you to write any system of linear equations as the single equation "Ax= b", the simplest form.

The shorthand notation provided by the matrix is very beneficial. Keeping track of the variables that the matrix operates on often clutters up the calculations. If you compose a sequence of linear operations ( E = A * B * C * D ), you can do the matrix manipulations easily. If you try to name and keep track of all the intermediate values, it is just an unnecessary mess. ( x2 = Dx1; x3 = Cx2; x4 = Bx3; x5 = Ax4; so x5 = E x1 )

1. Why are linear equations usually written down as matrices?

Linear equations are usually written down as matrices because they provide a more organized and efficient way to represent a system of equations. Matrices allow us to easily perform operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication, making it easier to solve for unknown variables.

2. How are linear equations and matrices related?

Linear equations and matrices are related because a matrix is a rectangular array of numbers that can represent a system of linear equations. Each row in the matrix represents an equation, and each column represents a variable. This allows us to easily manipulate the equations and solve for the variables.

3. Can linear equations be written in any other form besides matrices?

Yes, linear equations can be written in other forms such as standard form, slope-intercept form, and point-slope form. However, matrices are often used in linear algebra as they provide a more compact and organized way to represent a system of equations.

4. Are there any benefits to writing linear equations as matrices?

Yes, there are several benefits to writing linear equations as matrices. Matrices make it easier to perform operations on a system of equations, and they also allow for efficient use of computer algorithms to solve for variables. Additionally, matrices can represent a wide range of mathematical concepts beyond just linear equations.

5. Can matrices be used for non-linear equations?

Yes, matrices can also be used for non-linear equations. While matrices are most commonly associated with linear equations, they can also represent non-linear equations such as quadratic, exponential, and logarithmic functions. In fact, matrices are used in various fields of science and engineering to solve complex non-linear equations and systems of equations.