Why are mammals as large as they are and not much larger?

• Thread starter parshyaa
  • Start date
In summary: What is the advantage of size? The adult elephant (largest land mammal) already has no natural predators. What selective advantage would they have to grow even bigger?
parshyaa
  • I just wached walter lewin's first lecture on units and dimensions.
  • He tried experimentally to show the galelio's argument
  • Why are mammals as large as they are and not much larger.
  • He argued that if the mammal becomes too massive that the bones will break and he thought that that was a limiting factor.
  • But walter lewins results didn't mached the original experiment
  • His difference in the d/l values for different animal was deviated from the expected value
  • Therefore what is wrong in galelio's thinking or walter lewins results.

Biology news on Phys.org
I don't know the details of Lewin's arguments about the size of mammals being maximal, but I should like to point out that mammals range in size from tiny moles and shrews, which weigh only a few grams each, to the giant Blue Whale, which can weigh more than 150 tons, although the latter does dwell entirely in the ocean.

What is the advantage of size? The adult elephant (largest land mammal) already has no natural predators. What selective advantage would they have to grow even bigger?

Likes billy_joule and parshyaa
parshyaa said:
  • Therefore what is wrong in galelio's thinking or walter lewins results.
Perhaps nothing more than so many uncontrolled additional variables that any model based on simple biomechanical square-cube considerations will come with very wide error bars.

parshyaa said:
He argued that if the mammal becomes too massive that the bones will break and he thought that that was a limiting factor.

I can't see this being correct. There have been many, many different species of dinosaurs which grew to a MUCH larger size than any mammal ever has, with the exception of perhaps whales.

Vanadium 50 said:
What is the advantage of size? The adult elephant (largest land mammal) already has no natural predators. What selective advantage would they have to grow even bigger?
Exactly , I liked your point

Uh, didn't the really big dinosaurs have near-fractal, bird-like bones, with better strength/weight than mammalian ?

Didn't they have a different lung arrangement, that allowed more efficient oxygen transfer ??

As for mammalian size, my reading suggests that, barring 'island effect', 'our' elephants' pleistocene mastodon and straight-tusked cousins were significantly larger. IIRC, human hunters still drive down-sizing...

How things could have turned out if our LCA's quadruped plan had not been 'locked in' so very long ago is always fun to consider...

@Nik_2213 Diplodocus and friends (Neosauropoda) were NOT theropod dinosaurs. They are the REALLY big ones at the museum.
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/diapsids/saurischia/theropoda.html
Theropods are the the group from which modern birds evolved. Your bird like reference.

Lung arrangement? I am not sure how that relates to size, except more mass requires more oxygen.

Do you mean air sacs like modern birds have? Yes, it is thought that they were more efficient breathers. But, did you know that atmospheric oxygen levels were low when dinosaurs first became extant? Circa 12% at the start of the Triassic, compared to the ~20% today. Probably why they did really well when other groups like therapsids (progenitors of mammals) did poorly.

Here is discussion
http://www.washington.edu/news/2005...e-great-dying-worse-greatly-delayed-recovery/

parshyaa said:
  • I just wached walter lewin's first lecture on units and dimensions.
  • He tried experimentally to show the galelio's argument

Nugatory said:
Perhaps nothing more than so many uncontrolled additional variables that any model based on simple biomechanical square-cube considerations will come with very wide error bars.

Drakkith said:
I can't see this being correct. There have been many, many different species of dinosaurs which grew to a MUCH larger size than any mammal ever has, with the exception of perhaps whales.

jim mcnamara said:
@Nik_2213

Lung arrangement? I am not sure how that relates to size, except more mass requires more oxygen.

"On Growth and Form", D'Arcy Wentworth Thompson's magisterial book, has a whole chapter applying scaling laws to animals. He shows how basic proportional relationships constrain a variety of organism parameters: larger animals have proportionally shorter limbs (Galileo's law), swimming speeds increase as the square root of animal length (Froude's law), why there are no small animals in polar regions (Bergmann's law), all animals can jump to the same actual, not relative, height (Borelli's law), and a lot more- 'rules' about flying, walking, respiratory systems (bugs and ants don't need lungs, diffusion is sufficient), eyes and ears, rates of growth...

Likes Drakkith and jim mcnamara
SteamKing said:
I don't know the details of Lewin's arguments about the size of mammals being maximal, but I should like to point out that mammals range in size from tiny moles and shrews, which weigh only a few grams each, to the giant Blue Whale, which can weigh more than 150 tons, although the latter does dwell entirely in the ocean.

That's exactly right- if a whale comes out of the water, it doesn't have the muscle strength to breathe- the buoyancy permits larger size, which is advantageous for swimming speed and distance (migration). Note also that the smaller animals have to constantly eat.

Nugatory said:

Actually, that's not true. If you plot a variety of scaled organism parameters the statistical variation is rather small.

Likes jim mcnamara and parshyaa
Vanadium 50 said:

Not just elephants: gorillas, hippos and rhinos also practically have no non-human predators. Notice they are also all herbivores, in contrast to large apex predators like bears, lions, wolfs who are considerably smaller is size.

Two reasons why size matters: larger animals can move faster for longer periods of time, and don't don't have to eat as often. But terrestrial animals are constrained in size by falling/impact injuries as well- even seen an elephant jump?

Andy Resnick said:
"On Growth and Form", D'Arcy Wentworth Thompson's magisterial book, has a whole chapter applying scaling laws to animals. He shows how basic proportional relationships constrain a variety of organism parameters: larger animals have proportionally shorter limbs (Galileo's law), swimming speeds increase as the square root of animal length (Froude's law), why there are no small animals in polar regions (Bergmann's law), all animals can jump to the same actual, not relative, height (Borelli's law), and a lot more- 'rules' about flying, walking, respiratory systems (bugs and ants don't need lungs, diffusion is sufficient), eyes and ears, rates of growth...

larger animals have proportionally shorter limbs (Galileo's law)
  • But walter lewin's experiment clearlly showed that in reality difference in the thickness of femoure(limbs or bone) is not as expected from galileo's law .
  • In later video, walter lewin explained that in reality it does not follows galileo's law because of buckling property of bones(ie. Extra bending ability)

@Andy Resnick - thanks! I just ordered the book.

In grad school I encountered "Hall's Law" - relating stride length to femur length. That was the extent of my reading on this.

Likes Andy Resnick
parshyaa said:
larger animals have proportionally shorter limbs (Galileo's law)
  • But walter lewin's experiment clearlly showed [...] .

How do you mean 'experiment'?

Not experiment but his calculations for the length of femoure and thickness of different animal is different from the expected values. He showed it by finding length of femoure and its thickness and then comparing it with other animals but the values didn't matched galelios prediction as shown in his first lecture unit and dimension video.

I don't see much discussion about another potential trade-off between big and small: genetic adaptation. As mammals get bigger, their population goes down and the time period from one generation to the next gets longer.

Some quick Googling yields these stats: There were a few million elephants in 1900 and much less today. They have a gestation period of almost 2 years and they take little interest in their peers until about age 17. So that's at least 19 years per generation. Compared to smaller mammals, they are genetically frozen.

In a stable environment where their abilities and behavior are already close to optimal for survival, this should not be a problem. But with a changing environment, I would expect smaller animals to be able to adapt much more quickly - and then evolve into larger species capable of replacing the "dinosaurs".

Perhaps a good way to address this issue is to ask whether, over a period of thousands of generations, elephants, or a subspecies of elephants would become even bigger than they are now. Would a population of large elephants be able to out-compete their smaller cousins for resources?

1. Why do mammals have a specific size range?

Mammals have evolved to be a certain size based on a combination of factors such as their environment, diet, and evolutionary history. Generally, larger mammals require more resources to survive and reproduce, so there is a limit to how large they can grow. Additionally, larger size can make it more difficult for mammals to move and find food, which can be disadvantageous in terms of survival.

2. What determines the maximum size of a mammal?

The maximum size of a mammal is influenced by a variety of factors, including genetic limitations, physical constraints, and environmental pressures. For example, larger mammals need to have a more efficient respiratory and circulatory system to support their larger bodies, which can be challenging to maintain. In addition, the availability of resources and competition from other species can also play a role in determining the maximum size of a mammal.

3. Why are there no mammals as large as dinosaurs?

Mammals and dinosaurs evolved separately, and mammals did not have the opportunity to evolve to such large sizes before the dinosaurs went extinct. Additionally, mammals have different anatomical features, such as a diaphragm for breathing and a four-chambered heart, which may have made it more difficult for them to reach the sizes of dinosaurs. Furthermore, the environmental conditions during the time of dinosaurs, such as higher oxygen levels, may have allowed for larger sizes to evolve.

4. Are there any advantages to being a larger mammal?

There can be advantages to being a larger mammal, such as increased strength and better ability to defend against predators. Larger mammals may also have access to a wider variety of food sources and can potentially reproduce more successfully. However, there are also disadvantages, such as the need for more resources and a higher risk of injury or disease.

5. Can mammals continue to evolve to become even larger?

Mammals can continue to evolve to become larger, but there are limitations to how large they can grow. As mentioned before, larger size can come with various challenges and trade-offs. Additionally, as Earth's resources become more limited, it is unlikely that mammals will continue to evolve towards larger sizes. Instead, they may adapt in other ways to survive and thrive in their environments.