Why are my problems written as sub x and sub 0

• Thread starter hominid
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of subscripts in representing age and population tables in math. The index of summation is also mentioned in relation to the equation R_0 = \sum_{x_first}^{x_last} L_x m_x, which represents the population replacement rate. The concept of survivorship at age x and its role in the equation is also explained, along with the confusion regarding the variability of R_0 and its dependence on the growth rate. Ultimately, it is clarified that R_0 is not a constant but rather a sum over all values of x.
hominid
Why are my problems written as "sub x" and "sub 0"

Homework Statement

I am doing population tables in math where x represents age. L sub x represents survivor ship at age x. m sub x represents fecundity at age x.

My question is, why is x always "sub x"? There is a an equation [tex]R_0 = \sum_{x_first}^{x_last} L_x m_x=population-replacement-rate[/tex]

What I don't understand is how can [tex]R_0[/tex] be variable. I see that when [tex]R_0=1[/tex] there is no growth. And my professor said that this allows us to simply say that [tex]r=0[/tex]=no population growth. But I am thoroughly confused

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I don't know what the term "survivorship at age x" means, but I have a question for you anyway. What is the index of summation? Is x meant to be the index of summation? It is common to use subscripts in that situation. Is it something like

[tex]R_0 = \sum_{x=1}^{100} L_x m_x[/tex]

If so, then [itex]R_0[/itex] isn't a variable; it is constant.

What I said isn't very clear, sorry. I am doing "life tables" on the rates of population changes over time within age groups. e.g., for whatever reason there may be 100K people alive at age 50, and 75K alive at age 49 given the circumstances with their parents at birth, or other factors that affected that age group during their lives that lowered their age group's population vs another. Survivorship at age x [tex]l_x[/tex] is the percentage of people still alive from a sample of people at their given age.

My problem looks just like that without the "100" and x=1. Instead, it has on top, x last, and on bottom, x first. Meaning x first is the age of first reproduction, and x last is the age of last reproduction.

[tex] R_0 = \sum_{x_first}^{x_last} l_x m_x [/tex]

What I don't understand is how could [tex]R_0[/tex] be a constant if the value for [tex]R_0[/tex] changes depending on the growth rate. That is, if the sum of [tex]l_x[/tex] and [tex]m_x[/tex] equal one then there is no growth, but if their sum equals 2.5 then we could say that each individual leaves an average of 2.5 offspring, thus population is growing.

Last edited:

So R0= lxfirstmxfirst+ lxfirst+1mxfirst+1+ lxfirst+2mxfirst+ 2+ ... + lxlastmxlast[/math]. R0 is not necessarily a constant but it does NOT depend upon a specific vallue of "x" since it is a sum over all values of x.

Related to Why are my problems written as sub x and sub 0

Why are my problems written as sub x and sub 0?

Sub x and sub 0 are used as symbols in mathematical equations to represent variables. These variables can take on different values, making it easier to solve problems and understand the relationship between different quantities.

What is the purpose of using sub x and sub 0 in scientific problems?

The use of sub x and sub 0 allows scientists to represent unknown values in equations and solve for them using mathematical principles. This makes it easier to analyze and understand complex systems and relationships in science.

Why are sub x and sub 0 often used in scientific notation?

Sub x and sub 0 are commonly used in scientific notation because they represent variables that can take on different values, making it easier to express large or small numbers without writing out all the digits. This is especially useful in scientific fields where large or small quantities are frequently encountered.

Is there a specific reason for using sub x and sub 0 instead of other symbols?

The use of sub x and sub 0 is a convention that has been established in mathematics and science. These symbols are easily recognizable and understood by scientists and mathematicians, making it easier to communicate and solve problems across different fields and disciplines.

Can sub x and sub 0 be used interchangeably with other symbols?

While sub x and sub 0 are commonly used in scientific problems, other symbols such as sub a and sub b can also be used to represent variables. However, it is important to use consistent notation within a problem or equation to avoid confusion and ensure accurate results.