Why aren't drones and aircraft using hydrogen-oxygen fuel cells?

In summary: Li-Ion batteries.In summary, the reason hydrogen fuel cells are not in use on aircraft is because of the low energy density, the expensive storage systems, and the expensive fuel.
Jarfi
I've heard they were much more efficient then li-ion batteries and anything else really.. and drones today are all about flight time, wouldn't hydrogen fuel cells result in a great flight time advantage? why are they not in use?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Too low energy density. Expensive storage systems. Expensive fuel. Expensive motor.

Most of the power on aircraft today comes from the engines. The batteries are used as emergency backup in case of a failure, which means that the batteries efficiency are not a major cause of flight time reduction

Doug Huffman said:
Too low energy density. Expensive storage systems. Expensive fuel. Expensive motor.

The motor is an electric motor, they are the same as for normal li-ion batteries.

Energy density of hydrogen gas is yes, large which I must admit, having a gas tank for hydrogen in a drone would certainly make things more expensive I admit.
donpacino said:
Most of the power on aircraft today comes from the engines. The batteries are used as emergency backup in case of a failure, which means that the batteries efficiency are not a major cause of flight time reduction

I am not meaning conventional aircraft but electric aircraft as in drones that use electric motors. Hydrogen fuel cells generate electricity from hydrogen and oxygen

Jarfi said:
I am not meaning conventional aircraft but electric aircraft as in drones that use electric motors. Hydrogen fuel cells generate electricity from hydrogen and oxygen

Wow I am a dummy.
Shows how you can get locked into one idea!

Jarfi said:
I've heard they were much more efficient then li-ion batteries and anything else really.. and drones today are all about flight time, wouldn't hydrogen fuel cells result in a great flight time advantage? why are they not in use?

A picture of the last aircraft which used hydrogen in a big way (but not for power):

1-the-hindenburg-1937-granger.jpg

The Hindenburg​

Likes davenn
Jarfi said:
Energy density of hydrogen gas is yes, large which I must admit, having a gas tank for hydrogen in a drone would certainly make things more expensive I admit.
Energy density of hydrogen gas compared to Li-Ion batteries is very low
the batteries give you the "best bang for buck"

Dave

Last edited:
SteamKing said:
A picture of the last aircraft which used hydrogen in a big way (but not for power):

The Hindenburg
Alas, there's always going to be one passenger who ignores the "No Smoking" sign.

davenn said:
Energy density of hydrogen gas compared to Li-Ion batteries is very low
the batteries give you the "best bang for buck"

Dave

Yup, Lithium batteries aren't too shabby.. especially the high end ones have mad energy density; http://eu.nkon.nl/rechargeable/18650-size/r-panasonic-ncr18650b-button-top.html this is just mindblowing..

Anyways yeah you guys are right, hydrogen fuel cells are complex and spacey... which is exactly the opposite of what a drone needs, drones have to be as light and neat as possible. It's probably more of a thing for cars, I think a number of electric cars actually this tech

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Why aren't drones and aircraft using hydrogen-oxygen fuel cells?

The main reason is that hydrogen-oxygen fuel cells are still in the early stages of development and are not yet as efficient as traditional fuel sources such as gasoline or jet fuel. Additionally, the infrastructure for producing, storing, and transporting hydrogen fuel is still limited.

2. How do hydrogen-oxygen fuel cells work?

Hydrogen-oxygen fuel cells produce electricity through an electrochemical reaction between hydrogen and oxygen. Hydrogen is fed into one side of the cell and oxygen into the other, and the two elements combine to form water, releasing energy in the process.

3. What are the benefits of using hydrogen-oxygen fuel cells?

Hydrogen-oxygen fuel cells offer several advantages over traditional fuels, including zero emissions, increased energy efficiency, and the potential to reduce dependence on fossil fuels. They also have the potential to be lighter and more compact than traditional fuel sources.

4. What are the challenges in using hydrogen-oxygen fuel cells for drones and aircraft?

One of the biggest challenges is the limited availability and infrastructure for producing and transporting hydrogen fuel. This makes it difficult to refuel drones and aircraft in remote or emergency situations. In addition, hydrogen fuel cells may not be able to provide enough power for larger aircraft or long-distance flights.

5. Are there any safety concerns with using hydrogen-oxygen fuel cells?

While hydrogen-oxygen fuel cells themselves are relatively safe, there are some potential hazards associated with the production, storage, and transportation of hydrogen fuel. However, these risks can be mitigated with proper safety measures and regulations.