Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why aren't drones and aircraft using hydrogen-oxygen fuel cells?

1. Nov 6, 2014 #1
    I've heard they were much more efficient then li-ion batteries and anything else really.. and drones today are all about flight time, wouldn't hydrogen fuel cells result in a great flight time advantage? why are they not in use?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2014 #2

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

Too low energy density. Expensive storage systems. Expensive fuel. Expensive motor.

4. Nov 6, 2014 #3

donpacino

Gold Member

Most of the power on aircraft today comes from the engines. The batteries are used as emergency backup in case of a failure, which means that the batteries efficiency are not a major cause of flight time reduction

5. Nov 6, 2014 #4
    The motor is an electric motor, they are the same as for normal li-ion batteries.

Energy density of hydrogen gas is yes, large which I must admit, having a gas tank for hydrogen in a drone would certainly make things more expensive I admit.

I am not meaning conventional aircraft but electric aircraft as in drones that use electric motors. Hydrogen fuel cells generate electricity from hydrogen and oxygen

6. Nov 6, 2014 #5

donpacino

Gold Member

Wow im a dummy.
    Shows how you can get locked into one idea!

7. Nov 6, 2014 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A picture of the last aircraft which used hydrogen in a big way (but not for power):

1-the-hindenburg-1937-granger.jpg

The Hindenburg​

8. Nov 6, 2014 #7

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Energy density of hydrogen gas compared to Li-Ion batteries is very low
    the batteries give you the "best bang for buck"

Dave

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  9. Nov 6, 2014 #8

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Alas, there's always going to be one passenger who ignores the "No Smoking" sign.

10. Nov 6, 2014 #9
    Yup, Lithium batteries aren't too shabby.. especially the high end ones have mad energy density; http://eu.nkon.nl/rechargeable/18650-size/r-panasonic-ncr18650b-button-top.html [Broken] this is just mindblowing..

Anyways yeah you guys are right, hydrogen fuel cells are complex and spacey... which is exactly the opposite of what a drone needs, drones have to be as light and neat as possible. It's probably more of a thing for cars, I think a number of electric cars actually this tech

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook