Why aren't the coils in electric motors insulated?

• Thread starter Xyius
  • Start date
In all the electric motors I have taken apart, the coils on the armature have never been insulated. This has always confused me because, how could the coil make a sufficient magnetic field if it shorts out to the adjacent wires from lack of insulation?

Answers and Replies

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Are you sure they're not coated in a thin layer of clear sheathing?

Likes russ_watters
Are you sure they're not coated in a thin layer of clear sheathing?

I have suspected that but I do not know for sure. I was wondering if anyone else could confirm. :]

They are insulated with a thin transparent layer of insulator.

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters and Delta2
They are insulated with a think transparent layer of insulator.

No, I don't think it's transparent.

Magnet wire is coated with a thin layer of enamel. The color is usually gold, making it appear similar to bare copper. It also comes in other colors, such as red and green.

Cool thanks guys!

No, I don't think it's transparent.

Magnet wire is coated with a thin layer of enamel. The color is usually gold, making it appear similar to bare copper. It also comes in other colors, such as red and green.

Thanks a lot. Do you know how to remove the insulation before soldering? Or is it removed by the heat while soldering? I usually use flame to remove the insulation first. Sometimes just scratching them by a knife! I wonder if there was a more efficient way.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Thanks a lot. Do you know how to remove the insulation before soldering? Or is it removed by the heat while soldering? I usually use flame to remove the insulation first. Sometimes just scratching them by a knife! I wonder if there was a more efficient way.

Wire strippers are the correct way.

Yes, there is a more efficient way. You can buy a machine that is designed for removing the insulation. However, the price is probably too high for the hobbyest. I used such a machine many years ago when I worked for a motor manufacturer. At home I usually just lay it on a flat hard surface and scrape it with a sharp knife. I've never had much luck with using wire strippers on magnet wire.

Pengwuino
Gold Member
Wire strippers are the correct way.

How do you use wire strippers to take off such a thing layer?

DaveC426913
Gold Member
How do you use wire strippers to take off such a thing layer?

Mm. Good point. It's not designed to be stripped like regular electrical wire, is it? It won't just slide off.

AlephZero
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Modern "enamelled" wire usually has a plastic coating that will burn off cleanly during soldering. The wire in old motors etc uses "real" enamel which needs to be scraped off with a knife blade or fine sandpaper.

There are electrically powered tools available to do this on an "industrial" scale.

Apparently some types of enamel could be stripped by placing the wire on aspirin tablet and heating with a soldering iron (or so the urban legend says). Never tried it myself though.

Use a pocket knife and scrap off the ends like you would to strip off plastic insulation.