Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why black holes can have static electric fields?

1. Jun 19, 2007 #1
    Why black holes can have static electric fields???

The gravitation of black hole is so strong that nothing can escape from it !

Why black holes can have static electric fields around with it???

Thank you in advance!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2007 #2
    Nothing can escape from inside the event horizon. Objects outside the horizon can and do escape.

4. Jun 19, 2007 #3

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

5. Jun 21, 2007 #4
    Why do you assume that the charges have passed through to the event horizon? A Schwarzschild observer would reckion infalling charges to come to rest just outside the event horizon and therefore the field wouldn't have to escape from it since it was never there.

I'm sure there are better explainations around for charged objects which collapse into a black hole. I'd like to hear about such a case myself.

Pete

6. Jun 21, 2007 #5
    Chris Hillman was giving me some useful links regarding black holes. See this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=173650

I'm afraid I haven't read the Kerr paper yet, my pile of "interesting reading material" is a foot high.

I share your interest, Pete. I've been thinking about it a lot. Yes, there's a lot going on in an accretion disk, with a massive magnetic flux. But if the black hole is just sitting there in vacuum, I just can't see how a black hole can have any charge at all. The very concept of a Reissner-Nordstrom black hole is giving me big problems. So I'll join the line forming behind magnetar's original question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?