Why can we understand physical laws?

In summary, Halfeatenpizz asks if there is a reason why physical laws are comprehensible to us, and philosopher suggests that it might have to do with our invention of them.
Halfeatenpizz
I've always found it pretty amazing that human beings can understand the rules that govern the universe we live in, but is there a fundamental reason as to why they are comprehensible at all? Do they have to be rooted in logic?

If it's just something that is unknown, that's a perfectly acceptable answer. Just always wondered about it.

Also, apologies in advance if this is a naive/stupid question. I'm more of a math guy and don't have a super strong background in physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
two cents:

I like to think about it in terms of building toys. There are many kinds of building toys from erector sets, to lego and all its imitators. Each can build structures that approximate the things we use today and some are better approximations than others. Math is like the building toys, we can pretty much find the math we need for a theory and we get answers that approximate reality but when we find some major issue that we can't resolve with our math. We might switch to a different math.

Math can be used to describe our universe and untold impossible universes. Physicists are searching for the right combination or best building toy.

:end two cents

This might belong in philosophy, but I'm not sure.

Halfeatenpizz said:
I've always found it pretty amazing that human beings can understand the rules that govern the universe we live in, but is there a fundamental reason as to why they are comprehensible at all? Do they have to be rooted in logic?

If it's just something that is unknown, that's a perfectly acceptable answer. Just always wondered about it.

Also, apologies in advance if this is a naive/stupid question. I'm more of a math guy and don't have a super strong background in physics.

Halfeatenpizz, Welcome to Physics Forums!

My two cents' worth: Yes, there IS a fundamental reason why the law of gravitation, for example, is comprehensible. When Newton described the laws (rules) that govern gravity scientists had at least two choices. They could have laughed and called him a crackpot, or they could have experimented with real masses, etc. to discover if Newton was right or not. Today we trust he was right, and that is because our experiments always prove that Nature does indeed behave just the way he described it. That is why and how physical laws are comprehensible to us.

I don't have any idea what you mean by physical laws being rooted in logic.

Last edited:
Drakkith said:
This might belong in philosophy, but I'm not sure.

Yeah, I wasn't sure either. I was just mostly wondering if there's some commonly accepted reason for this.

Bobbywhy said:
I don't have any idea what you mean by physical laws being rooted in logic.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be cryptic or anything. Physical laws can be described using math. Logic, in the mathematical sense, is more or less the foundations math sits on. If physics is based on mathematics and mathematics is based on logic, then physics is ultimately based on logic. It has its roots there.

Last edited:
We can understand them because we invented them. So as an electrical engineer I can understand circuit theory and other simplistic "laws". However I have not a clue how to explain something as apparently simple as how two electrons repel each other! It's all very well saying a virtual photon passes between them, but what the hell does that REALLY mean? Why does this virtual photon suddenly appear? How does one electron "know" the other is approaching? There are endless questions I can ask and each time I think I have an answer to one another two appear.
These are unsettling thoughts for someone who makes a living off what little knowledge he has about his chosen field!

Related to Why can we understand physical laws?

1. Why do physical laws exist?

Physical laws exist because they are fundamental principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy in the universe. They have been observed and tested through experiments and have been found to be consistent and predictable.

2. How can we understand complex physical laws?

We can understand complex physical laws through the use of mathematics, experimentation, and observation. By using mathematical equations and models, we can make predictions about the behavior of the physical world and test them through experiments.

3. Are physical laws universal?

Yes, physical laws are considered to be universal as they apply to all objects and phenomena in the universe. These laws do not change based on location, time, or any other factors.

4. What is the significance of understanding physical laws?

Understanding physical laws allows us to make sense of the world around us and make predictions about how things will behave. This knowledge has led to advancements in technology, medicine, and other fields, improving our quality of life.

5. Can physical laws change?

Physical laws are constant and do not change. However, our understanding of these laws can evolve as we make new discoveries and advancements in science and technology.