Why can’t transverse waves travel through a gas or liquid?

In summary, transverse waves are waves that require a rigid medium to transfer their energy and can travel through solids, but not as effectively through liquids and gases. This is because liquids and gases have non-zero viscosity, which hinders the propagation of transverse waves. However, electromagnetic waves, which are also transverse waves, can travel through liquids and gases due to their nature as electromagnetic radiation. Mechanical transverse waves include water waves, which are caused by disturbances on the surface of a liquid, and there are other types of mechanical transverse waves that can occur in different mediums.
Barclay

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that transverse waves require rigid medium through which to transfer their energy so they can travel through solids.
I'll just accept that transverse waves can travel through a vacuum.
I accept that transverse waves cannot travel through a liquid or gas because the medium is not solid BUT the light is a transverse wave and it passes through through the air (a gas) in our atmosphere. Also can see the torch light of a scuba diver in the ocean (a liquid).

This is high school physics level.

Physics news on Phys.org
Who says transverse waves can't travel through a liquid or a gas?

Chet

Barclay said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that transverse waves require rigid medium through which to transfer their energy so they can travel through solids.
I'll just accept that transverse waves can travel through a vacuum.
I accept that transverse waves cannot travel through a liquid or gas because the medium is not solid BUT the light is a transverse wave and it passes through through the air (a gas) in our atmosphere. Also can see the torch light of a scuba diver in the ocean (a liquid).

This is high school physics level.
This looks like transverse waves to me:

Mechanical-Waves.jpg

Likes billy_joule
Chestermiller said:
Who says transverse waves can't travel through a liquid or a gas?

Chet

I've read it in textbooks and been searching the Internet and have seen the same information. I don't understand (don't believe it) because: we can see the torch light of a scuba diver in the ocean (a liquid).

Here;s a link to someone else asking the same sort of question but the answer does not make sense:

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120803171214AAe1N1i

Barclay said:
I've read it in textbooks and been searching the Internet and have seen the same information. I don't understand (don't believe it) because: we can see the torch light of a scuba diver in the ocean (a liquid).

Here;s a link to someone else asking the same sort of question but the answer does not make sense:

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120803171214AAe1N1i
Well, Yahoo! Answers is not a reputable scientific source. People vote on the correct answer.

BTW, that thing about they can't put something on the internet if it's not true, well, it's not true.

Likes gracy
SteamKing said:
Well, Yahoo! Answers is not a reputable scientific source. People vote on the correct answer.

I wasn't using Yahoo answers to study, only to give me an answer for a question similar to mine.

I knew that I could post my question here but was fearful of doing so. I've posted many on this forum and just get bogged down with riddles. Takes days and days to decipher an answer. Some of my questions I've just abandoned because I just can't get a straight answer. This is not a criticism. I know the forum rules and the intention is to make me learn more ... but I'm of simple mind and sometimes can't do it.

Barclay said:
I wasn't using Yahoo answers to study, only to give me an answer for a question similar to mine.

I knew that I could post my question here but was fearful of doing so. I've posted many on this forum and just get bogged down with riddles. Takes days and days to decipher an answer. Some of my questions I've just abandoned because I just can't get a straight answer. This is not a criticism. I know the forum rules and the intention is to make me learn more ... but I'm of simple mind and sometimes can't do it.
Well, if you have general questions which aren't course related, posting them in the Homework Forums is probably not a good idea, since the Rules for these Homework Forums prohibit people from simply giving you 'straight' answers.

There are several different technical forums, such as the General Physics forum, where the rules aren't as strict.

When they say that transverse waves cannot travel through a liquid or a gas, what they really mean is that shear waves cannot exist in a liquid or gas. This is because it is often believed that a liquid or a gas cannot support a shear stress. However, we know from Newton's law of viscosity that liquids and gases can support shear stress. This is because all real liquids and gases have non-zero viscosity. Only ideal inviscid fluids have zero viscosity. But, in the real world, there is no such thing as an ideal inviscid fluid.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
When they say that transverse waves cannot travel through a liquid or a gas, what they really mean is that shear waves cannot exist in a liquid or gas. This is because it is often believed that a liquid or a gas cannot support a shear stress. However, we know from Newton's law of viscosity that liquids and gases can support shear stress. This is because all real liquids and gases have non-zero viscosity. Only ideal inviscid fluids have zero viscosity. But, in the real world, there is no such thing as an ideal inviscid fluid.

Chet
Thanks. So is it best to say : Transverse waves do not travel as well through gases and liquids as they do through solids. They travel best through a vacuum where they are unhindered by collisions between particles?

Barclay said:
Thanks. So is it best to say : Transverse waves do not travel as well through gases and liquids as they do through solids. They travel best through a vacuum where they are unhindered by collisions between particles?
When they are referring to transverse waves in this context, they are not referring to electromagnetic waves. They are referring to mechanical waves. Electromagnetic waves travel just fine through liquids and gases.

Hello I understand that electromagnetic waves are transverse waves but what are mechanical transverse waves.

Are water waves are mechanical transverse waves? Are there any examples?

Just found these examples of mechanical waves: vibration of string, , the surface wave produced on the surface of solid and liquid, sound waves, tsunami waves, earthquake P-waves, ultra sounds, vibrations in gas, and oscillations in spring, internal water waves, and waves in slinky .

Extremely low frequencies are used for sub to surface communications.

Thanks all for your replies. I just needed to be told about mechanical transverse waves and electromagnetic transverse waves. Didn't know about the mechanical. When I found out it all clicked into place.
Jimmini said:
Extremely low frequencies are used for sub to surface communications.
Longitudinal water waves are used in submarine sonar and by dolphins.
Transverse water waves are surface water waves.
Thanks

1. Why can't transverse waves travel through a gas or liquid?

Transverse waves are characterized by their oscillations perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation. However, in gases and liquids, the particles are not tightly bound and are free to move in any direction, making it difficult for transverse waves to maintain their oscillations.

2. Why do only longitudinal waves travel through gases and liquids?

Longitudinal waves, also known as compression waves, are characterized by their oscillations parallel to the direction of wave propagation. In gases and liquids, the particles are able to compress and expand, allowing for the transmission of longitudinal waves.

3. What is the difference between transverse and longitudinal waves?

Aside from their different oscillation directions, transverse and longitudinal waves also differ in their ability to travel through different mediums. Transverse waves can only travel through solids, while longitudinal waves can travel through both solids and fluids.

4. Can transverse waves travel through a gas or liquid if the particles are tightly packed?

In theory, if the particles in a gas or liquid were tightly packed, transverse waves may be able to travel through them. However, in reality, gases and liquids do not behave this way and their particles are always somewhat free to move, preventing the transmission of transverse waves.

5. Why do some sources say that transverse waves can travel through liquids, while others say they cannot?

There may be some confusion around this topic because there are some rare instances where transverse waves have been observed to travel through liquids. However, this is only possible under very specific conditions and is not a common occurrence. In general, it is accurate to say that transverse waves cannot travel through gases or liquids.