1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phase difference after passing through liquid and glass

1. Feb 19, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two waves travel next to each other for 100cm.
    Wave A passes through a glass container containing liquid. The thickness of the glass in total is 1cm and the width of the liquid is 10cm. The glass has n = 1.52 and the liquid has n=1.33.
    Wave B passes through a vacuum and has wavelength 500nm.
    Both waves start out in phase. Find the relative phase differences at the finishing line (after 100cm).

2. Relevant equations
    c/n = λv (?)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not sure where to start.
    I was thinking that the phase difference will be proportional to the difference in time it takes to get to the finish line.
    Δφ = Δt
    But I have no idea how to find the difference in the time it takes for each wave to get to the end.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need to rethink (or look up) your equations. Dimensions don't match in both cases !

4. Feb 19, 2016 #3
    So I found this: Δφ/2π = Δt/vo
    And then t = c/λ and I find the new wavelength for each section of path B with c/nv and then add up the times?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted