Why did you choose math over physics or vice versa?

• Thread starter Orson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: I am currently in the process of introspection and reflection in order to determine whether I will apply to graduate school in physics or mathematics. I, like dkotschessaa, also view mathematics as more "pure" and more "perfect" than physics. On the one hand, there is physics which appears more superficially interesting and inspired, and on the other is mathematics, which to me, follows in the tradition of Plato's world of forms-something that transcends reality, something that transcends physics. Mathematics seems to me to be a truly sublime and magnificent edifice, beautiful and deep, yet elusive. Physics comes a lot more naturally to me, not to say that it is easy which it certainly isn't,
dkotschessaa said:
As I said, math was invented for accounting. Fortunately you can study math without that too. :D

-Dave K
Indeed hahah. But remember Physics is an excellent source of inspiration for Mathematics. You can study Mathematics without Physics, of course, but the study of Physics lead to branches such as Calculus, many contributions in Topology, etc...

Quoting Pierre Bergé, Des rythmes au chaos: " For some results or discoveries, it is difficult to say to which area they belong: to the Mathematics or to physics." If a mathematician finds a result that could belong to Physics, but has no prior knowledge on it, well, he/she may mix both areas, and some Physics may be required.

For studying Mathematics you don't need Physics at all, but for every Mathematician, I'll encourage to have the very basics of Physics while doing research. You don't know what you can find...

<h2>1. Why did you choose math over physics or vice versa?</h2><p>This is a common question that I get asked a lot. I actually have a background in both math and physics, but ultimately decided to pursue a career in math. I found that I enjoyed the abstract and logical thinking involved in math, and I was fascinated by the endless possibilities and applications of mathematical concepts. However, I still have a strong interest in physics and often use mathematical principles to solve physical problems.</p><h2>2. What are the main differences between math and physics?</h2><p>While both math and physics involve a lot of problem-solving and critical thinking, there are some key differences between the two fields. Math is primarily focused on abstract concepts and theories, while physics is more focused on applying those concepts to understand the physical world. Additionally, math tends to be more theoretical and proof-based, while physics involves experimentation and observation.</p><h2>3. Did you find one subject more challenging than the other?</h2><p>Both math and physics have their own unique challenges. In math, I often had to wrap my head around complex abstract concepts and think outside the box to solve problems. In physics, I had to apply mathematical principles to real-world scenarios and make sense of the data collected from experiments. Overall, I would say that both subjects require a lot of critical thinking and problem-solving skills.</p><h2>4. How do math and physics intersect or overlap?</h2><p>Math and physics are closely related and often intersect in many ways. In fact, physics is often described as the "language of math" because it heavily relies on mathematical principles to explain and predict physical phenomena. Many mathematical concepts, such as calculus and linear algebra, have been developed specifically for use in physics. On the other hand, physics also provides real-world applications for many abstract mathematical theories.</p><h2>5. Can you give an example of how you have used math in a physics context?</h2><p>One example of how I have used math in a physics context is when I was studying the motion of a projectile. By using mathematical equations, I was able to calculate the trajectory, velocity, and acceleration of the projectile. This allowed me to make predictions about its motion and understand the factors that affect its path. Without a strong understanding of mathematical concepts, it would have been much more difficult to analyze and understand the projectile's motion.</p>

1. Why did you choose math over physics or vice versa?

This is a common question that I get asked a lot. I actually have a background in both math and physics, but ultimately decided to pursue a career in math. I found that I enjoyed the abstract and logical thinking involved in math, and I was fascinated by the endless possibilities and applications of mathematical concepts. However, I still have a strong interest in physics and often use mathematical principles to solve physical problems.

2. What are the main differences between math and physics?

While both math and physics involve a lot of problem-solving and critical thinking, there are some key differences between the two fields. Math is primarily focused on abstract concepts and theories, while physics is more focused on applying those concepts to understand the physical world. Additionally, math tends to be more theoretical and proof-based, while physics involves experimentation and observation.

3. Did you find one subject more challenging than the other?

Both math and physics have their own unique challenges. In math, I often had to wrap my head around complex abstract concepts and think outside the box to solve problems. In physics, I had to apply mathematical principles to real-world scenarios and make sense of the data collected from experiments. Overall, I would say that both subjects require a lot of critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

4. How do math and physics intersect or overlap?

Math and physics are closely related and often intersect in many ways. In fact, physics is often described as the "language of math" because it heavily relies on mathematical principles to explain and predict physical phenomena. Many mathematical concepts, such as calculus and linear algebra, have been developed specifically for use in physics. On the other hand, physics also provides real-world applications for many abstract mathematical theories.

5. Can you give an example of how you have used math in a physics context?

One example of how I have used math in a physics context is when I was studying the motion of a projectile. By using mathematical equations, I was able to calculate the trajectory, velocity, and acceleration of the projectile. This allowed me to make predictions about its motion and understand the factors that affect its path. Without a strong understanding of mathematical concepts, it would have been much more difficult to analyze and understand the projectile's motion.