Why do car wheels spin backwards

In summary, the stroboscopic effect of a spinning car wheel or fan appearing to spin backwards is due to the frequency of the light source (usually 50Hz) causing a visual illusion. This effect can also occur in daylight due to the rate at which our eyes process visual information. This phenomenon was previously discussed in a forum thread.
daniel_i_l
Gold Member
Anyone who's looked at a spinning car wheel or fan notices that sometimes it looks as if the wheel/fan is spinning backwards. I was once told that this is because of the fact that the light shining on it, coming from an electric light source, turns on and off at a certain frequency (~50Hz) and therefore we get a stroboscopic effect.
But I see this effect even in daylight - which is constant. What could be the reason for this? Could it have to do with the rate that our eyes can "refresh" the picture sent to the brain?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it has something to with the time taken for one fan blade to reach the position of the other one, being less than the time take taken for the light to reach your eyes. Granted I never really followed up on that explanation, but that was what I was told when I was young.

1. Why do car wheels appear to spin backwards?

Car wheels may appear to spin backwards due to the stroboscopic effect, also known as the wagon-wheel effect. This is when a fast-moving object appears to move slower or even backwards due to the way our eyes perceive motion. The frequency of the spinning wheels and the frequency at which our eyes process images can create this illusion.

2. Is there a difference between the front and back wheels spinning backwards?

No, both the front and back wheels can appear to spin backwards. This is because both wheels are moving at the same speed and frequency, creating the same stroboscopic effect.

3. Does the speed of the car affect the backwards spinning of the wheels?

Yes, the faster the car is moving, the more pronounced the backwards spinning of the wheels may appear. This is because the frequency of the spinning wheels is higher, and our eyes may have a harder time processing the images at a faster rate.

4. Do all types of wheels appear to spin backwards?

No, the stroboscopic effect can occur with any type of wheel that is rotating at a certain speed. This includes bicycle wheels, fan blades, and even helicopter blades.

5. Can this backwards spinning of wheels be dangerous?

No, the backwards spinning of car wheels is simply an optical illusion and does not pose any danger to drivers. However, it is important to maintain proper tire pressure and tread to ensure safe driving conditions.