Why do different car engines need different engine oils? I assume viscosity

In summary: So viscosity is not the only consideration, modern oil formulations have reduced the degradation of viscosity, and engine power is not the only factor that determines the viscosity needed.
pa5tabear
Does a stronger engine need a higher viscosity fluid? What's the reasoning behind this?

Science news on Phys.org
Lols.
caranddriver.com/forums, gminsidenews.com, motortrend.com/forums, etc....

pa5tabear said:
Does a stronger engine need a higher viscosity fluid? What's the reasoning behind this?

Viscosity is not actually the only consideration because viscosity is a loss mechanism. What's required is for the oil to lubricate. If you could have a fluid that would keep the surfaces of a bearing apart with no loss (viscosity) at all then that would be good news.
The reason for needing viscosity is that we need to get the lubricant to the surfaces as they dip into the lubricant or it's pumped between them and to stay there. The oil in the main bearings acts as a cushion to protect the bearing surface each time the piston is driven downwards by the expansion in the cylinder and it has to be kept within the bearing and not allowed to 'squish out' each time. So viscosity is needed for that.
But it's not so much the power of the engine that tells you what viscosity is needed; it's factors like the loading of the bearings. A massive engine with big, low stressed bearings may be much less of a problem than a tiny motorcycle engine with a high compression ratio, high rev speed and small bearings.
The viscosity must be appropriate at all running temperatures, too. So a freezing cold engine can be damaged if the oil is too thick to circulate yet a thin enough oil to get over that problem may be too runny when the engine has been running for hours in mid summer. Hence, multigrade oils were invented.
Bottom line is that lubrication (tribology) is a very complicated business with many factors to be considered. How deep do you want to go into this?

Generally higher viscosity, which results in a thicker film of oil on surfaces at the same running temperature, or the same thicknes of film of oil if running at higher temperature, is needed when the clearances between parts is higher, or if the engine runs hotter. This would apply to all engines with these issues, not just race engines. I don't think modern race engines have the "slop" that was present in some old race engines, but they may run hotter than a street engine.

Another issue is that oil formulations have changed to increase the life of the oil and reduce the degradation of viscosity with time.

Standard car engines used to use 20W-50 oil changed every 3,000 miles, and if the car had an oil pressure gauge you could see the oil pressure falling over the 3,000 miles as the oil degraded and the viscosity reduced. Now they use synthetic 5W-30 or 0W-30 oil (made in a factory, not pumped out of the ground!) with much less degradation, and changed every 18,000 miles not every 3,000.

1. Why do different car engines require different types of engine oil?

Different car engines have varying designs and operating conditions, which means they have different lubrication needs. Engine oils are formulated with different viscosity levels and additives to meet these specific requirements.

2. What is viscosity and how does it affect engine oil?

Viscosity refers to the thickness or fluidity of a liquid. In engine oils, viscosity is important because it affects the oil's ability to flow and provide proper lubrication. High viscosity oils are thicker and better suited for heavier engines, while low viscosity oils are thinner and better for lighter engines.

3. Why is it important to use the recommended engine oil for my car?

Using the recommended engine oil for your car ensures that the oil's viscosity and additives are suitable for your engine's specific design and operating conditions. This helps to optimize performance, protect against wear and tear, and extend the life of your engine.

4. Can I use any type of engine oil in my car?

No, it is not recommended to use just any type of engine oil in your car. Using the wrong viscosity or type of oil can lead to poor engine performance, increased wear and tear, and even potential damage to your engine. It is important to always use the oil recommended by your car's manufacturer.

5. How often should I change my engine oil?

The frequency of oil changes depends on the type of engine oil used, your driving habits, and the age of your car. Generally, it is recommended to change your engine oil every 5,000-7,500 miles for conventional oil, every 7,500-10,000 miles for synthetic blend, and every 10,000-15,000 miles for full synthetic oil.