Why Do Fathers Experience Premature Graying?

• Thread starter dlgoff
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hair
In summary: but mostly because it's funny to see people's reactions when they realize that even though they might look "old", they're still pretty darn young when it comes to life experiences.fortunately my daughter inherited some of my fear of heights/falling ( self preservation) and she is very happy with just doing lots of mountain trail hikes
dlgoff said:
I'm surprised this thread hasn't been closed since it's been so long since I've posted to it. Today is my daughter's 30th birthday and after wishing her a happy birthday in an email, this is what she replied she was doing for the day:
My daughter just sent me some photos of the airplanes she's been doing acrobatics with. She is in the beginning stage of her training, so her instructor is doing most of the hard maneuvers. On the phone she said during one maneuver, they were pulling 8 Gs. :bugeye:

She looks happy:
pilot misty.jpg

Here are the two planes she been training in:
plane-1.jpg

plane-2.jpg

Likes StatGuy2000, Astronuc, collinsmark and 3 others
Physics news on Phys.org
dlgoff said:
She looks happy:
Cute necklace (and appropriate). She may want to put it in her pocket while doing aerobatics, though, to keep from getting distracted by it flipping all over the place. :smile:

Likes dlgoff and BillTre
berkeman said:
Cute necklace (and appropriate). She may want to put it in her pocket while doing aerobatics, though, to keep from getting distracted by it flipping all over the place. :smile:
Thanks @berkeman. I'll mention this to her.

edit: I just emailed her about this. Thanks again.

Likes pinball1970 and berkeman
here's a pic of my daughter learning to fly the acrobatics airplane:

acrobat.jpg

Likes WWGD, StatGuy2000, collinsmark and 2 others
I'm surprised the picture was taken with the sky on top.
Mostly.

• Haha
Likes Astronuc, jrmichler and dlgoff
Here are some pics my daughter posted on FaceBook:
flying daughter.jpg

I think this is her favorite plane:
acrobat plane.jpg

This is the acrobat team I think:
acrobat team.jpg

Likes StatGuy2000, Borg and collinsmark
Yeah, I wondered about those extra-large tires. I assumed that they were using some dirt/grass runways or something similar.

Likes Klystron and dlgoff
berkeman said:
Yeah, I wondered about those extra-large tires. I assumed that they were using some dirt/grass runways or something similar.
I really don't know, but I just emailed her and asked that she revisit this thread and see the comments about those FB pics I posted.

jrmichler said:
That's not an aerobatic plane.
Any plane is an aerobatic plane if you are motivated enough.

• Haha
Likes atyy, Astronuc, Borg and 1 other person
Vanadium 50 said:
Any plane is an aerobatic plane if you are motivated enough.
That can easily not end well. I once listened to creaking noises coming from the wings of an Aeronca Champ while graying out coming down the backside of a loop while approaching redline airspeed. A non aerobatic airplane will do aerobatics, but at the cost of too many safety factors approaching 1.0 at the same time.

A student pilot, of the spoiled rich kid variety, did a loop in a Cessna 150. He succeeded, but bent the flap mechanism. He was thrown out of the flying school, and the airplane repaired.

A couple hotshot pilots during WWII read that it was impossible to loop a PBY-5A. The book was both right and wrong. They successfully looped the plane, but the entire trailing edge of the wing buckled upward about 2/3 the way back from the leading edge. They successfully landed it, but it never flew again. My father swore up and down that he was not one of those pilots, but he did admit to being there.

• Wow
Likes Klystron, atyy, Astronuc and 4 others
My Daughter is at a competition. Here's the flight pattern that she will be flying:
small 104315.jpg

Likes Astronuc, Ivan Seeking and collinsmark
Astronuc said:
That's actually a bargain.

HondaJet's Elite costs $5.25 million (it's twin engine)

https://www.businessinsider.com/hon...ide-hondas-5-million-private-jet-cabin-2019-6
This is what my daughter said when I asked her if she would like to own one.

Honda jets are nice, we got a few when I worked at Denver jetCenter so I've seen them. I wouldn't care to own a jet. I'd rather have a single-engine bush or aerobatic-type plane for fun.

There are over a dozen F-14's on the government surplus list. I see them every time I look for chairs and desks. It's a twin engine, but I am sure your daughter can adapt.

It's also a two-seater, so you could ride along. Wheeeee!

• Love
  • Haha
Likes atyy and dlgoff
This is the same plane I flew while playing LASER tag with someone else who didn't know how to fly - Marchetti SF – 260. Did a barrel roll and a 5g loop as well. Having never flown a plane before, getting one hour of training and then jumping into real dog fights was insanely intense to say the least! But there was a top gun pilot sitting next to me who could take over if we got into trouble. The scariest part was not the 30 seconds of parachute training I received. It was his verbal instructions: "If the plane catches on fire, just go ahead and jump. I'll stay with the plane." :))

1626486753916.png

• Love
  • Haha
Likes 2milehi, Klystron, atyy and 1 other person
Here's a happy photo of my daughter learning to acrobat fly:
small thumbnail_Screenshot_193523.jpg

Likes collinsmark, Vanadium 50, Ivan Seeking and 2 others
dlgoff said:
Here's a happy photo of my daughter learning to acrobat fly:
View attachment 286132
Great pic.

• Love
Likes dlgoff
dlgoff said:
Here's a happy photo of my daughter learning to acrobat fly
Is the picture right-side-up?

Vanadium 50 said:
Is the picture right-side-up?
I don't know. Doesn't look like it. I'll have to ask her.

dlgoff said:
I don't know. Doesn't look like it. I'll have to ask her.
If she was upside down her hair wouldn't be sitting on her shoulder.

Likes pinball1970
Ivan Seeking said:
Oh yea. Your right.

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
Ivan Seeking said:
If she's looping the loop her hair would be on her shoulder even when the plane was upside down, due to the g force.

Likes crudux_cruo, hmmm27, dlgoff and 2 others
Ivan Seeking said:
Mousse. Lots of mousse.

• Haha
Likes Ivan Seeking and dlgoff
Here's my daughter with the acrobat team (the girl with her hand on the prop):
small 5529.jpg

Likes pinball1970, Ivan Seeking, collinsmark and 1 other person
Ibix said:
If she's looping the loop her hair would be on her shoulder even when the plane was upside down, due to the g force.
If she was doing a loop I don't think she would be looking away from the window and controls.

dlgoff said:
Here's my daughter with the acrobat team (the girl with her hand on the prop):
View attachment 286146
Yeah she doesn't seem to like this much. :oldlaugh: Next up, skydiving!

Ivan Seeking said:
If she was doing a loop I don't think she would be looking away from the window and controls.
It's best to just close your eyes.

• Haha
Likes Ivan Seeking
Vanadium 50 said:
It's best to just close your eyes.
The natural tendency is to keep making the radius of the loop tighter and tighter as you near the end. I think most people would need to look at their instruments to be sure they make a circle.

Here's the latest from my daughter:
I'm not sure how the quality is but I attached a video of me running through my primary sequence. This was a practice flight from last week. It is not the best as I was still learning but this is in an Xtreme Decathlon. This plane is the pane that I have been practicing in for weeks and up to the day of the competition. It ended up breaking and I had to compete in a comparable but still different airplane that I had never flown before. I was very sad about that because I had my routine down quite well. I didn't fly very well in the other plane but i still managed to pull it together on my second flight and place 2nd.
The video has the wrong extension to attach.

dlgoff said:
I have been practicing in for weeks and up to the day of the competition. It ended up breaking
She managed to break an aerobatic airplane? Yikes! Glad she is okay. :smile:

Ibix said:

berkeman said:
She broke the first plane doing aerobatics so got in another one to complete the runs...mm.
If a plane (commercial) ever breaks i am on and we land ok I am not getting on another one just like that.
Not without meds.

• Haha
Likes dlgoff
berkeman said:
I don't really think she broke it. It was probably something else that had a problem. I'll ask however.

Likes pinball1970
She hasn't replied about what broke but she did send a couple photos of her medals:
thumbnail_IMG_20210717_211126.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_20210717_211028.jpg

Likes Borg, BillTre, Ivan Seeking and 4 others
Ivan Seeking said:
The natural tendency is to keep making the radius of the loop tighter and tighter. . .

And, then. . .

1626802729753.png

• Haha
Likes Ivan Seeking