Why Do Fathers Experience Premature Graying?

• Thread starter dlgoff
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hair
In summary: but mostly because it's funny to see people's reactions when they realize that even though they might look "old", they're still pretty darn young when it comes to life experiences.fortunately my daughter inherited some of my fear of heights/falling ( self preservation) and she is very happy with just doing lots of mountain trail hikes
Wow...I'm impressed. To be dropped into a burning plane! I see they thoughtfully provided a canopy slightly after the pilot.

• Haha
Likes berkeman, Ivan Seeking and gmax137
Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
I think most people would need to look at their instruments to be sure they make a circle.
The human senses are actually a quite useful instruments during aerobatics. E.g. during loops and similar you can glance left/right to get a good reference to where your wings are relative to the horizon and you feel change in g-force in your butt much faster than glancing at the g-load. But you will likely use the proper instruments to ensure correct entry altitude and airspeed (you don't want to start a loop with too little of either).

I'm totally with her that she'd rather have a small nimble plane in her private hangar than a business jet, simply because the former has much higher fun capacity per dollar than the latter (and no one uses business jets for aerobatics or buzzing around in VFR anyway - not even rich people).

dlgoff said:
She hasn't replied about what broke but she did send a couple photos of her medals:
View attachment 286180
View attachment 286181
Here are some more photos of my daughters competition:
She said:
Here are some more pictures. I placed 2nd for my flight on Saturday and 1st for my flight on Sunday. Overall, I placed 3rd.
thumbnail_IMG_20210718_202843.jpg

thumbnail_received_224571752855402.jpg

thumbnail_received_338277187964290.jpg

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_20210718_203018.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20210718_203018.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 68
  • thumbnail_received_224571752855402.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 74
  • thumbnail_received_224571752855402.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes collinsmark, Borg, BillTre and 3 others
Here's the latest from my daughter.
This is the Xtreme Decathlon plane that I have done most of my aerobatic training in.
moreflying-1.jpg
moreflying-4.jpg

Likes collinsmark, berkeman, Filip Larsen and 1 other person
My hair would have turned grey on the day she came home with that tattoo.

• Haha
Likes dlgoff, pinball1970, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person
My daughter has two, but not nearly so big. (Biologically themed!)
(Hair's already grey).

Tattoos are really common around here (Eugene, Oregon).
I considered getting a tattoo, in college, when I was working on a ship.
I am very impressed with the current tattoo technology and their quality.
I was thinking of getting an blue anchor or something like that, 40 years ago.

Likes dlgoff
In the town where I'm originally from there is an annual celebration, where (among other things) they have an old-fashioned fairground. I had a look round and one of the attractions was a booth where you could pay to see an untattooed lady!

• Haha
Likes dlgoff, pinball1970 and BillTre
strangerep said:
My hair would have turned grey on the day she came home with that tattoo.
I noticed that post #74
I thought wow that’s a big one, I bet that hurt!

Likes dlgoff
Is that the Chinese character for "soup"?

Likes Borg
Vanadium 50 said:
It translates roughly as, "I'm doing this to freak out dad!"

"If you can read this you're too close"

"This will ease dad into the bigger tattoo that's to come, then rock climbing, then ice climbing and I am definitely looking into flying lessons."

Chinese is a succinct language.

• Haha
Likes BillTre, berkeman and Bystander
From the thread, it means: Pli Sung which translates as “I am confident of certain victory.”

• Informative
Likes collinsmark, berkeman and pinball1970
dlgoff said:
From the thread, it means: Pli Sung which translates as “I am confident of certain victory.”
More pithy than my guess.

• Haha
Likes dlgoff
BillTre said:
My daughter has two, but not nearly so big. (Biologically themed!)
(Hair's already grey).
I took one of my boys on their 18th birthday for their first ink, and he has at least 5 now.

I'm thinking about going for my second one...

Likes BillTre
dlgoff said:
Let's just say my hair didn't get any darker. :oldcry:
It started getting gray after this one:
View attachment 286436
see post https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/nerdy-sports.951423/#post-6026592
Vanadium 50 said:
Ivan Seeking said:
It translates roughly as, "I'm doing this to freak out dad!"
gmax137 said:
"If you can read this you're too close"
pinball1970 said:
"This will ease dad into the bigger tattoo that's to come, then rock climbing, then ice climbing and I am definitely looking into flying lessons."

Chinese is a succinct language.
dlgoff said:

Ha!

But seriously, yes, according to my cell phone, it roughly translates to "Victory." And it's Korean, not Chinese.

• Informative
Likes pinball1970 and dlgoff
dlgoff said:
Here's the latest from my daughter.

View attachment 286411View attachment 286412
Here's what my daughter said about the tires:
That is a Carbon Cub. I flew it one time with the owner of the aircraft. No, I do not or have not yet taken off or landed on any grass strips, nor will I unless I get some other opportunity outside of my flying club. I suppose that plane probably could but the tires are honestly not that big compared to true bush plane tires.
And when I mentioned:
You have lots of people seeing your flying photos. I had asked Greg how many members PF had now and this is what he said:

We're at about 200k members!

Love You
She said:
That’s cool dad. For the record, I don’t care about that so much. I’m just trying to share my stuff with YOU.
Maybe I should stop sharing here.

dlgoff said:
Maybe I should stop sharing here.
Tell her you have recruited a number of fine young men who would like to date her. :oldbiggrin:

• Haha
Likes Grasshopper, Vanadium 50 and dlgoff
Ivan Seeking said:
Tell her you have recruited a number of fine young men who would like to date her. :oldbiggrin:
Since rock climbers and pilots tend to be male, educated, physically fit, and intelligent, I'm sure that she has more opportunities than time to accept them all. For her, that's a target rich environment. Just doing my bit to make dad feel good...

• Haha
Likes dlgoff
jrmichler said:
Since rock climbers and pilots tend to be male, educated, physically fit, and intelligent, I'm sure that she has more opportunities than time to accept them all. For her, that's a target rich environment. Just doing my bit to make dad feel good...
Yes but that doesn't come with the cringe factor of dad finding her dates. :wink:

Dr Transport said:
I took one of my boys on their 18th birthday for their first ink, and he has at least 5 now.
You should have taken him to a brothel -- that's less permanent and he'd actually have learned something.

(And if he still wanted a tat, you could have taken him to a Korean place and secretly paid the guy to tattoo the words "My dad took me to a brothel".)

• Haha
Likes Dr Transport, berkeman and Ivan Seeking
My daughter visited today. Here's a photo of her and I.
small 20210727_134930.jpg

and here's a photo of her and her boyfriend and I:
small 20210727_134946 (1)-2.jpg

Likes Astronuc, atyy, berkeman and 3 others
Greg Bernhardt said:
This is absolutely fabulous Don! She's a rock star!
I agree. I'm the most proud father in the world. :)

• Love
Likes Borg, Ivan Seeking, BillTre and 1 other person
dlgoff said:
[...]
and here's a photo of her and her boyfriend and I:
View attachment 286685
Hmm. I can see her sandals on his feet, but where is she? (Is this a tricky "Where's Waldo?" puzzle? I'm guessing she's behind the camera for this pic?)

And,...er,... is it my imagination,... or,... does he indeed bear quite a strong resemblance to yourself? (Not sure if that's anything to worry about, or merely normal -- I don't have much knowledge of such things.)

• Haha
Likes dlgoff and berkeman
strangerep said:
I can see her sandals on his feet,
They both have sandals and I'm in both photos (see red arrows).
small me 20210727_134946 (1)-2.jpg

small me 20210727_134930 (1).jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Haha
Likes collinsmark and Greg Bernhardt
My daughters next competition will be on August 21st. I'm sure she'll send some pictures.

dlgoff said:
My daughters next competition will be on August 21st. I'm sure she'll send some pictures.
I somehow had the impression that pretty much anyone today would have one or more GoPro's or similar installed in their favorite airshow/competition/buzzing-around plane so they could peruse and analyse their performance in details afterwards (usually only the mounts are installed, pilots bring their own cameras). If your daughter don't have any, perhaps that could be an idea for a great Dad-to-daughter gift?! :biggrin:

Likes berkeman
Filip Larsen said:
I somehow had the impression that pretty much anyone today would have one or more GoPro's or similar installed in their favorite airshow/competition/buzzing-around plane so they could peruse and analyse their performance in details afterwards (usually only the mounts are installed, pilots bring their own cameras). If your daughter don't have any, perhaps that could be an idea for a great Dad-to-daughter gift?! :biggrin:
She has a GoPro that I got her years ago. Here's what she said about your post:
Pretty cool (and funny.) In regards to the latest comment, I do have a GoPro camera, actually. I just have forgotten/never taken it with me while flying aerobatics. I can’t figure out how to make the battery last long enough for a full, high quality video. I think I just need new batteries.

dlgoff said:
I can’t figure out how to make the battery last long enough for a full, high quality video. I think I just need new batteries.
I'm no expert, but I can imagine rechargeable battery packs in cameras will have the same issue with (significant) diminished capacity over time as mobile phones, so if her camera is years old and well used it may just be a new battery that is needed. A bit of a shame to "loose" all that great footage just because of a bad battery. On the positive side in this case you don't need to get her a brand new camera, only a new battery pack. :-p

On the other hand, if its the camera itself that has limited duration even with a brand new battery, then an upgrade is perhaps in order? It should be possible to find a camera that go at least 90-120 min (think this is the norm, actually) so they can be activated during one of the pre-takeoff checklists and still capture the whole flight. If you (or she) gets a new one, remember to read/watch some reviews first because I hear some of the newer GoPro's are a bit flunky.

Looking forward to some (more) great cockpit shots in this thread soon :wink:

Edit: inserted missing words.

Last edited:
Likes dlgoff and berkeman