Why Do Fractions Like 2/3 and 3/2 Frequently Appear in Physics Problems?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter FallenApple
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 2K views
FallenApple
Messages
564
Reaction score
61
So I noticed something about problems. I see the number 2/3 or 3/2 a lot. For example, the height masses lose contact with sphere. Ladder losing contact with wall etc. Or 3/2 for the height above a rolling cue ball to strike for it to stop etc. And I notice the number 2/5 and 5/2 a lot as well. For example, the minimum height to make around the loop de loop.

Is there something more fundamental going on here?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think this is a result of teachers designing problems with simple exact solutions. This is not unlike the use of 30-60-90 or 45-45-90 triangles in trig or Pythagorean triplets i.e. 3-4-5 right triangles when teaching the Pythagorean theorem.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: S.G. Janssens
FallenApple said:
So I noticed something about problems. I see the number 2/3 or 3/2 a lot. For example, the height masses lose contact with sphere. Ladder losing contact with wall etc. Or 3/2 for the height above a rolling cue ball to strike for it to stop etc. And I notice the number 2/5 and 5/2 a lot as well. For example, the minimum height to make around the loop de loop.

Is there something more fundamental going on here?

I have noticed lots of 1/2 popping up recently. There must be a nest somewhere.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: HallsofIvy, russ_watters, S.G. Janssens and 1 other person
The worst are factors of powers of ##2 \pi##. They tend to be missing or appear to often in formulae. In this case you can trace it to Fourier as the culprit. LOL.
 
vanhees71 said:
The worst are factors of powers of 2π.
Use τ.
 
FallenApple said:
Is there something more fundamental going on here?
Yes, you've fallen into the trap of numerology :smile: