Why Do Girls Scream? Exploring the Science Behind Female Vocalizations

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of girls screaming over small disturbances and even when they are happy. Some suggest it is an evolutionary response to signal their sexual maturity, while others attribute it to seeking attention. There are also jokes made about screaming being a form of training for marriage and a discussion on paying attention to someone who is screaming. The conversation ends with a joke about a member named pattylou.
Pengwuino said:
So have we all come to the conclusion that girls are of another species?
Only the screaming variety. :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Lisa! said:
AND I have no wish to experience a guy like you!:tongue2:
AAAAAAHAHAHAH!

Why do girls scream?
because I'm on their hair.

tribdog said:
AAAAAAHAHAHAH!
Why do girls scream?
because I'm on their hair.

Mostly its because they're afraid they'll never get that goo out of their hair.

cronxeh said:
Why, you little!
http://www.thefunlist.com/images/humor/penguin.gif
Plagerist!
This is a blatant theft of a Tsupeg! That will cost you LOTS of chocolate! :biggrin: :biggrin: You notice I did not scream. You will also notice Ivan has not yet returned to this thread. :rofl: :rofl:

When I read that I thought the "Plagerist!" seemed a bit like a scream

We scream because evolution programmed us to scream so the hottie rockstars would look at us first. Girls who screamed the loudest get noticed first and thus get to dance up on stage first. Perhaps there is research that positively correlates someone's tendency to be a groupie with how many decibels and long she can scream...:wink:

CosminaPrisma said:
We scream because evolution programmed us to scream so the hottie rockstars would look at us first. Girls who screamed the loudest get noticed first and thus get to dance up on stage first. Perhaps there is research that positively correlates someone's tendency to be a groupie with how many decibels and long she can scream...:wink:
Hands Cosmina a welcome fish. :smile: Yep, you may have something there! And after they dance on stage, they get to go backstage and party with the band. :biggrin:

Evo said:
And after they dance on stage, they get to go backstage and party with the band. :biggrin:
I guess you'd have to want to do that first.

cronxeh said:
http://www.thefunlist.com/images/humor/penguin.gif
In the above footage the left "leg" of penguin #1 clearly breaks the ice before his companion, penguin #2, slaps him on the back, raising the question of whether penguin #2 had good or bad intentions.

arildno said:
There's a simple test:
Try and breed with them; if there is any off-spring, then they belong to your own species.
This implies that all women are of a different species.

TheStatutoryApe said:
StatutoryApe said:
Vocal reaction meant to alert others to what they have noticed. Men do it too just differently
Somtimes they grunt. I think most often we spit out expletives.
I find it hard to believe you can communicate by spitting.

franznietzsche said:
Hasn't the theory of therapy by catharsis been discarded? I could've sworn that several studies showed that releasing tension via catharsis results in positive feedback for the behavoir (for example, agression) which increases, rather than decreases its frequency.

I'll get back to your question. Whenever I feel like it

Mk said:
I find it hard to believe you can communicate by spitting.
Really...?

tribdog said:
When I read that I thought the "Plagerist!" seemed a bit like a scream

Get a grip, trib. Note the punctuation. It was merely an exclamation. There were no CAPS to indicate my voice was being raised. Sheesh... :rolleyes:

Ya know, some little puppies who get jobs listening to books (not actually having to READ them :biggrin:) just think they have everything all figured out... :rolleyes: :rofl:

Welcome, Cosima! How'd you like that welcome fish? That Evo - such a kind-hearted PF sister. She sure knows how to slap them fish around. :approve:

*pull up your support hose, Evo. They're bagging up around your ankle again.* :biggrin:

Tsu said:
Get a grip, trib. Note the punctuation. It was merely an exclamation. There were no CAPS to indicate my voice was being raised. Sheesh... :rolleyes:
It was still definitely a scream.

She sure knows how to slap them fish around. :approve:
Wow. Wow. Just interchange "fish" with the vice president's name.

*pull up your support hose, Evo. They're bagging up around your ankle again.*
tribdog's fault.

arildno said:
Try and breed with them; if there is any off-spring, then they belong to your own species.
Aren't there any... I dunno, biologists maybe... around here who might want to respond? :uhh:

Or grammarians...

If vegetarians eat vegetables... what do grammarians eat? Or humanitarians?? Or Summerians?

Tsu said:
*pull up your support hose, Evo. They're bagging up around your ankle again.* :biggrin:
What are support hose anyway? I thought you meant panty hose, but after a look on Google they are stiff socks? I heard the term on tv today. Why do I know logorrhea, but not support hose?

Mk said:
Wow. Wow. Just interchange "fish" with the vice president's name.
tribdog's fault.

To slap someone with a richard in the face??

arildno said:
To slap someone with a richard in the face??
Maybe he meant a Cheney. Like a street fight with a chain... er something.. maybe not...