Why do I feel Pressure on the palm of my hand?

In summary, some people feel a subtle force or pressure when they lower an object towards their palm. This may be caused by static charge potential.
Erich1
When I lower on object towards my palm (e.g. a pendulum on a long string, or a small metal object, etc) I feel a very subtle, but distinct sensation on the palm of my hand. What could be causing this? I don't think it is heat from the other hand. Can an stationary object produce a subtle force/pressure on the air?

Please note, you have to be very aware to notice this sensation. If you are closed minded, or have insensitive hands you won't notice it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi and welcome to PF! Perhaps static charge potential? At what range would an "open-minded controlled sensitive hand" conceivably notice this sensation?

With the hanging object at least 5 to 6 inches away with the other hand about 2 feet away.

Works with wood metal objects and glass objects

I would have guessed much closer to "feel" a charge imbalance but that's the only physical connection I could imagine.

So, the basic answer is no, there is no physics mechanism that could cause this. Have you tried having someone else lower the object to see if it affects the results?

Likes davenn
Sounds purely psychological to me.
Have another person lower the object at random times with your eyes closed.

Likes davenn
There is a good reason for us to feel such things but there's nothing magical about it. Our bodies are constantly trying to prepare for future events and our control systems are extrapolating on what to expect. Our 'awareness' is way down the line from this sort of process but this sort of reaction is good for avoiding 'surprises'. Such sensations feel real enough but they're internally generated. We 'feel' the next step before we actually make contact and we taste the food before we even get to smell it. Magicians rely on this human characteristic, in their acts.
A good, controlled experiment will show you that it's all "in yer 'ead".

1. Why do I feel pressure on the palm of my hand when I hold something heavy?

The pressure on your palm is due to the weight of the object you are holding. When you hold something heavy, the force of gravity acts on the object and your hand, resulting in pressure on your palm.

2. Why do I feel pressure on the palm of my hand when I grip something tightly?

When you grip something tightly, the muscles in your hand contract, causing an increase in pressure on your palm. This is a natural response to ensure a secure grip on the object.

3. Why do I feel pressure on the palm of my hand when I use my phone for a long time?

Using your phone for a long time can cause pressure on your palm due to the repetitive motion of typing and scrolling. This can strain the muscles and tendons in your hand, leading to discomfort and pressure.

4. Why do I feel pressure on the palm of my hand when I do push-ups or other exercises?

When you do push-ups or other exercises that involve using your hands, the weight of your body puts pressure on your palms. This is a normal sensation and can help strengthen the muscles in your hands.

5. Why do I feel pressure on the palm of my hand when I am stressed or anxious?

Stress and anxiety can cause tension in the muscles of your hand, leading to a feeling of pressure. This is a common physical response to stress and can be relieved through relaxation techniques and stress management.