Why do I feel Pressure on the palm of my hand?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Erich1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    hand Pressure
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
Erich1
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
When I lower on object towards my palm (e.g. a pendulum on a long string, or a small metal object, etc) I feel a very subtle, but distinct sensation on the palm of my hand. What could be causing this? I don't think it is heat from the other hand. Can an stationary object produce a subtle force/pressure on the air?

Please note, you have to be very aware to notice this sensation. If you are closed minded, or have insensitive hands you won't notice it.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi and welcome to PF! Perhaps static charge potential? At what range would an "open-minded controlled sensitive hand" conceivably notice this sensation?
 
With the hanging object at least 5 to 6 inches away with the other hand about 2 feet away.
 
I would have guessed much closer to "feel" a charge imbalance but that's the only physical connection I could imagine.
 
So, the basic answer is no, there is no physics mechanism that could cause this. Have you tried having someone else lower the object to see if it affects the results?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn
Sounds purely psychological to me.
Have another person lower the object at random times with your eyes closed.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn
There is a good reason for us to feel such things but there's nothing magical about it. Our bodies are constantly trying to prepare for future events and our control systems are extrapolating on what to expect. Our 'awareness' is way down the line from this sort of process but this sort of reaction is good for avoiding 'surprises'. Such sensations feel real enough but they're internally generated. We 'feel' the next step before we actually make contact and we taste the food before we even get to smell it. Magicians rely on this human characteristic, in their acts.
A good, controlled experiment will show you that it's all "in yer 'ead".