Vacuum and pressure will it move?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of vacuum pressure and its effects on a container with a small hole. The hypothesis is that the higher pressure on the non-hole side would push the bottle towards the lower pressure side, but the experiments have not shown this to be the case. The speaker also mentions the power of atmospheric pressure and the difficulty in finding a suitable container for their experiments.
udtsith
Hi! I've been experimenting in my kitchen (much to wife's amusement) with vacuum pressure. Basically, I have been trying to understand...if I have a container (2 ltr soda bottle size/type) that is at low pressure (e.g. 1/2 atm) and I put a small hole on one side...will the soda bottle move in the direction in which I put that hole? My hypothesis is that there is a higher pressure on the non-hole side and so it would push the bottle to the lower pressure side. So far my experiments have not shown this to be the case. I am guessing its because the air coming in from the side of the hole still provides a force keeping the soda bottle stationary but...I thought the lower average molecule hits on the lower pressure side would result in some force to move the bottle. In any event I certainly am appreciating the power of the atmosphere as most of my containers get crushed. oh...the container I finally settled on was not a soda bottle but a metal non-crushable cylindrical container Any help is much appreciated by me and my wife!

Physics news on Phys.org
You shouldn't think in terms of pressure, as the bottle is a single system and the atmospheric pressure is equal on all sides.

Imagine that the pressure inside the bottle was much higher than atmospheric pressure. What would happen then when there is a hole in the bottle, and why?

1. What is a vacuum?

A vacuum is a space that is completely devoid of matter, including air molecules. It is created by removing all the air and gases from a closed container.

2. How is a vacuum created?

A vacuum can be created by using a vacuum pump to remove all the air and gases from a container. This creates a low-pressure environment, which results in a vacuum.

3. What is the difference between vacuum and pressure?

Vacuum and pressure are two opposite forces. Vacuum is a lack of pressure, while pressure is the force exerted by a gas or liquid on the walls of a container. In a vacuum, there is no pressure because there are no molecules present to exert a force.

4. Can vacuum and pressure make objects move?

Yes, vacuum and pressure can make objects move. In a vacuum, objects will move towards areas of higher pressure due to the imbalance of forces. Similarly, in a high-pressure environment, objects will move towards areas of lower pressure.

5. How is vacuum and pressure used in everyday life?

Vacuum and pressure are used in various everyday applications such as vacuum cleaners, pneumatic tools, and even in our respiratory system. They are also used in industrial processes, such as in packaging and sealing products to remove excess air and create a vacuum seal.