Why do insects die so quickly when you trap them in a glass?

In summary, the conversation discusses the experience of trapping insects in a glass and finding them dead after several hours. The speaker is curious about what could be causing their death, considering that there should be enough oxygen in a 500ml glass to keep them alive. The conversation also mentions different hypotheses to test, including adding small holes to the container and providing a hiding place. The conversation concludes with the mention of sampling bias and how the sample of bugs in the jar may not accurately represent all the bugs in the area.
h237
When insects find their way into my home, I usually trap them in a glass & chuck 'em outside, opposed to squishing the poor buggers. However I sometimes forget, & when I return several hours later, to my dismay, they have croaked it. I don't understand. Shouldn't there be enough oxygen in a 500ml glass to keep a mosquito alive (for example) for way beyond several hours? I have observed this so many times. Not all of them die after a couple of hours, but I would say the majority do after 12 hours. What is killing these things? The only other things I can think of are heat, or even shock. However I live in a relatively cool climate (England), and don't leave them in direct sunlight.

Biology news on Phys.org
Not enough information: What kind of insects/how many?
Generally, this has not been my experience with most insects.

Test hypotheses:
  • O2/CO2: Punch some small holes in your containers top, or some bigger ones which are plugged with cotton or something like that.
  • Lack of humidity: add a wet piece of cloth, paper towel, or a wet food like jello.
  • Providing a hiding place (under paper or leaves?) might overcome their being stressed.

Likes h237
BillTre said:
Not enough information: What kind of insects/how many?
Generally, this has not been my experience with most insects.

Test hypotheses:
  • O2/CO2: Punch some small holes in your containers top, or some bigger ones which are plugged with cotton or something like that.
  • Lack of humidity: add a wet piece of cloth, paper towel, or a wet food like jello.
  • Providing a hiding place (under paper or leaves?) might overcome their being stressed.

Thank you for your reply, BillTre.

Usually I catch mosquitos, midges, & spiders around the house. I only put one insect in a glass, as the other one will usually fly out if I remove the lid.

I was hoping some bio-major had a clear-cut answer. If not, then I will do some tests myself. Good suggestions, by the way. Humidity didn't even occur to me.

There is something called sampling bias - or sampling error is another name.

Remember that insects in general do one of these: (A) egg -> larvae -> metamorphosis -> adult, (B) egg -> nymph (several stages) -> adult
Some things to consider:

The free flying bugs we see, especially type A, are often very short lived as adults. Most species require very specific habitats. Also, many live less than one or two days as adults. Put them in a jar and they die the next day. Leave them outside and they die the next day anyway. So maybe the jar is always not a cause of mortality. Like @BillTre mentioned.

When you capture bugs in a jar, you are getting a very very tiny sample of all of the bugs in your local area. A one acre field can contain as many as several hundred million insects. There are about 200 million inivididual insects on Earth for each human.

Your sample does not represent all of the bugs in your yard or house. So 'all bugs die in glass jars' may not be accurate in that sense. It may be that more slow moving species are easier to catch, and happen to be type A. And these guys are not larvae which usually outnumber adults for most species.

Long ago I ran some bug traps in Peru. Light traps at night trapped so many bugs we could only run them for a few minutes before the collection bag (about 3 liters) was overflowing. A colleague of mine used bug bombs to collect insects in the Amazon basin. This was pre-1970. He put down a circular thin mesh mat around the base of a tree, fired off a bug pyrethrin(?) bomb, then watched insects rain down for 15 minutes. The mat was about 10m radius, and usually wound up with about a 5cm (2 inches) deep bug layer. Millions of insects. I do not think he ever counted them or would would still be doing the counts. He did weigh them, I think.

The point is your sample of bugs in your jar does not really represent what you think it does.

Example from Panama:
Bug species in one acre (not individual bugs):
https://www.wired.com/2012/12/panama-bug-count/

San Lorenzo Forest - where the bug count above was taken:
http://ufdc.ufl.edu/AA00022174/00001

A field left fallow for a few years also has large insect populations.

Likes h237, BillTre and Fervent Freyja
h237 said:
When insects find their way into my home, I usually trap them in a glass & chuck 'em outside, opposed to squishing the poor buggers. However I sometimes forget, & when I return several hours later, to my dismay, they have croaked it. I don't understand. Shouldn't there be enough oxygen in a 500ml glass to keep a mosquito alive (for example) for way beyond several hours? I have observed this so many times. Not all of them die after a couple of hours, but I would say the majority do after 12 hours. What is killing these things? The only other things I can think of are heat, or even shock. However I live in a relatively cool climate (England), and don't leave them in direct sunlight.
No! The Oxygen is not enough, try to use a semi-permeable material to close yo container.. environmental conditions and habitat might be the major factor in some animals..

Likes h237

1. Why do insects die so quickly when you trap them in a glass?

There are several reasons why insects may die quickly when trapped in a glass. Firstly, the lack of air circulation inside the glass can cause suffocation. Secondly, the temperature inside the glass may become too high or low, which can be fatal for insects. Lastly, the stress of being trapped and unable to escape can also contribute to their quick demise.

2. Do all insects die quickly when trapped in a glass?

No, not all insects will die quickly when trapped in a glass. Some insects, such as cockroaches, are able to survive for longer periods of time without air and can tolerate a wider range of temperatures. Additionally, some insects may find a way to escape from the glass, especially if there are small openings or gaps.

3. Can insects survive if trapped in a glass with a lid?

Insects may be able to survive for a longer period of time if trapped in a glass with a lid, as it can prevent air from escaping and help maintain a more stable temperature. However, they may still eventually die due to the lack of oxygen and the stress of being confined.

4. Is it humane to trap insects in a glass?

This is a complex question and the answer may vary depending on personal beliefs. Some may argue that trapping insects in a glass is not humane as it causes them distress and can lead to their death. Others may argue that it is a necessary method for studying or controlling insect populations.

5. How long can an insect survive in a glass before dying?

The length of time an insect can survive in a glass before dying will vary depending on the species of insect, the conditions inside the glass, and the individual insect's tolerance levels. In general, most insects will not survive for more than a few hours to a day when trapped in a glass.