What Causes Lightning Rods to Buzz?

• Thread starter PatentLawyer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lightning
In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of buzzing sound heard from lightning rods during thunderstorms. The buzzing is caused by corona discharge, which is the result of intermittent discharge between the rod and the atmosphere. This discharge creates ionization and heating of the atmosphere, producing a buzzing sound similar to a waterfall or gatling gun. The buzzing can occur at various resonance frequencies of the lightning rod. While the basics of how lightning rods work are explained in the text "Electromagnetics" by Kraus, there is still some uncertainty about the exact cause of the buzzing sound.
PatentLawyer
I am familiar with the basic theory of how lightning rods work, at least as explained in the text "Electromagnetics" by Kraus (Ohio State).

I was once standing on the roof of a 14-story dormitory at the U. of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana. A thunderstorm was approaching.

The lightning rods on the roof all began to buzz.

I was taking a course in electromagnetic fields at the time. I related the buzzing to the prof, but he had no explanation.

Can anybody explain this ? I suppose the ambient 60 Hz field from the power company could be implicated somehow.

Thank you.

Science news on Phys.org
The buzz you hear is due to corona discharge. Google it.

I am sorry, but "corona discharge" does not answer the question of why buzzing (mechanical vibration) should occur.

When I said I was familiar with the basics as outlined in Kraus, why do you assume that I am unaware of "corona discharge" ?

Does anybody REALLY know the answer ?

There is intermittent discharge between the rod and the atmosphere.
The buzzing is the sound caused by ionization and heating of the atmosphere.

clem said:
There is intermittent discharge between the rod and the atmosphere.
The buzzing is the sound caused by ionization and heating of the atmosphere.

I agree, although a few more words might add clarity. The intermittent discharges are so closely spaced in time that it is more like a waterfall than a single water drop. The myriad, tiny "thunderclaps" are so closely spaced as to produce the buzzing sound. An analogy would be the noise made by a modern gatling gun. Rather than hear the individual muzzle blasts one hears a loud buzz when the gun is fired. By the way, I was up on a ladder, staining log siding close to a lightning rod, when the sky darkened. I too heard the buzz and scooted down the ladder with the hairs on my neck standing erect (probably more due to primal fear than any associated electromagnetic effect).

PatentLawyer said:
I am sorry, but "corona discharge" does not answer the question of why buzzing (mechanical vibration) should occur.

When I said I was familiar with the basics as outlined in Kraus, why do you assume that I am unaware of "corona discharge" ?

Does anybody REALLY know the answer ?

As much as I never assumed you weren't unaware of corona discharge phenomena, I do assume you're quite aware what uppercase means in forums like this.
Having said that, I'd suggest further reading about corona discharges and you'll find they can be fairly powerful sound sources because of its pulsed behavior. Therefore, the ligthning rod can start vibrating at any of its resonance frequencies. That's the sound you hear.

1. Why do lightning rods buzz?

Lightning rods buzz due to the discharge of electricity between the rod and the lightning bolt. This discharge creates sound waves which we perceive as buzzing.

2. Is the buzzing sound dangerous?

No, the buzzing sound from a lightning rod is not dangerous. It is simply a result of the electrical discharge and does not pose any harm to humans or property.

3. How does a lightning rod work to protect buildings?

A lightning rod is designed to attract and conduct lightning strikes away from a building. When lightning strikes, the rod provides a safe path for the electrical current to travel to the ground, preventing damage to the building and its occupants.

4. Can lightning rods prevent lightning strikes?

No, lightning rods do not prevent lightning strikes. They are designed to protect buildings and structures by providing a safe path for the electrical current to travel.

5. Do all buildings need lightning rods?

No, not all buildings need lightning rods. The need for a lightning rod depends on the height, location, and materials of a building. Tall buildings, buildings located in areas with frequent lightning strikes, and buildings made of highly conductive materials are more likely to benefit from a lightning rod.