Why Do No Stable Mesons Exist?

In summary, mesons consist of two quarks and are more massive than leptons with zero baryon number, making them able to decay into leptons. The stability of mesons is not solely determined by mass and baryon number, but also by spin. Pseudo-scalar mesons like pions, generated by chiral symmetry breaking, are expected to be stable and massless, but due to small quark masses, they are only approximately stable and massless. The singlet eta-prime meson and heavier mesons, such as the vector mesons, do not follow this pattern. The pion's stability is also influenced by its relationship with the muon and electron masses. However, due to the suppression
jc09
So mesons consist of two quark. I am wondering why no stable mesons exist?

Physics news on Phys.org
Because they're more massive than leptons and have zero baryon number, they can decay into leptons.

Note that if the pion had the same mass that the muon, it should be stable at first order, even if the electron is massive. So mass and baryon number is not all the history, spin has a role too.

Light pseudo-scalar mesons (pions, ...) can be understood as Godstone bosons generated by chiral symmetry breaking and should therefore be both stable and massless. But chiral symmetry is only an approximate symmetry b/c of small quark masses; therefore mesons are only approximately massless and approximately stable.

This does not apply to the singlet eta-prime b/c the axial U(1) symmetry is not broken spontaneously via the Goldstone mechanism but via the axial anomaly (the eta-prime is quite heavy compared to the other light mesons).

And it does not apply to heavier mesons, e.g. the vectors mesons (rho, ...)

YES Tom, it is amazing! The pion has two independent arguments to be stable, one coming from QCD via chiral symmetry breaking, and another coming from electroweak decay via the conspiracy of masses of electron, muon and pion.

arivero said:
Note that if the pion had the same mass that the muon, it should be stable at first order, even if the electron is massive. So mass and baryon number is not all the history, spin has a role too.

I don't see how you conclude this. The [itex]\pi \rightarrow e\nu[/itex] channel may be suppressed by the necessary electron mass insertion; but, it is non-zero at tree level, independent of the relationship between the pion and muon masses.

Parlyne said:
I don't see how you conclude this. The [itex]\pi \rightarrow e\nu[/itex] channel may be suppressed by the necessary electron mass insertion; but, it is non-zero at tree level, independent of the relationship between the pion and muon masses.

Indeed I said it badly; what I was thinking is that both channels, muon and pion, are strongly suppressed, that tree level into muon becomes zero if the mass of the muon is equal to the mass of the pion, and that tree level into electron becomes zero if the mass of the electron is set to zero. Is that right?

(Actually, when m_pi=m_mu, and keeping m_e at the current value, I am not sure what is greater, if the tree level into electron or the loop corrections into muon... but I ack it is not an excuse for sloopy wording)

Still, I stand amazed by the near-stability of pion, either pi- or pi0

Last edited:
arivero said:
(Actually, when m_pi=m_mu, and keeping m_e at the current value, I am not sure what is greater, if the tree level into electron or the loop corrections into muon...

Tree into electron. There is zero phase space for muonic decays in your example.

Vanadium 50 said:
Tree into electron. There is zero phase space for muonic decays in your example.
:smile:

Vanadium 50 said:

Worse. It's kinematically forbidden because of non-zero neutrino mass.

Related to Why Do No Stable Mesons Exist?

1. Why do no stable mesons exist?

Mesons are subatomic particles that are composed of a quark and an antiquark. They are highly unstable and have a very short lifetime, which is why they are not considered stable particles.

2. What causes mesons to be unstable?

Mesons are unstable due to their composition of a quark and an antiquark, which have opposite charges. This causes a constant interaction between the two particles, leading to their decay within a very short time.

3. Can mesons ever become stable?

No, mesons cannot become stable. The laws of physics dictate that the decay of mesons is inevitable due to the fundamental forces at play within the particles.

4. Are there any exceptions to the instability of mesons?

Some mesons, known as isospin singlet mesons, are more stable than others. This is because they have a different composition, with a neutral quark and an antiquark with equal positive and negative charges.

5. How do we know that mesons are unstable?

Mesons have been extensively studied and observed in particle accelerators and other experiments. These studies have shown that mesons consistently decay within a very short time, providing evidence for their instability.