Why do people look down at the Civil Engineering?

In summary: I hope there's a "Career Guidance" component to this thread, or it will be moved to the General Discussion forum.
Observer_hal said:
It's not so much people look down on civil engineering, as people look down on engineering in general. There are many, many reasons why this is the case, but I think the main reason is that engineers don't get much publicity. They're the people who makes things go around, from behind the curtain. Also, with the rate of technological advancement, engineers have made it seem too easy to design new products and advance technologies. Most people basically take technology for granted, and believe, subconsciously, that all the technologies and products in the world simply create themselves. As products create themselves, of course nobody actually creates them. Thus, there is no such thing as an engineer. And so to most people, an "engineer", is just a technician/mechanic/menial worker, who maintain the factories, which are a form of natural resource.

While I certainly agree that engineers in general do not get much publicity, the same could also be said of almost any profession in general, including scientists (except among those very few who are the top elite in their profession). And at least from my experience among people I speak to, I have never encountered anyone who looks down on an engineer, except among math and science students in university, where there is a (usually playful) rivalry with the engineering students.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cuauhtemoc said:
It's like a dentist, I doubt many people disagree that it's easier to become a dentist than a MD(at least where I live) but if you tooth is aching I bet you will love to have a dentist nearby.

Things may be different in the US or other nations, but in Canada, there are fewer dental schools than medical schools (there are only 2 dental schools in the province of Ontario, where I live, compared to 6 medical schools). So unless there are far fewer people who want to become dentists than doctors, I wonder if it may be more difficult to be admitted to dental school than medical school.

ZenOne said:
class on soil analysis

You get classes on soil analysis...
The heck is soil analysis?

When you analyze a soil sample, you can look at average particle size, particle size gradient and distribution, plasticity and many other characteristics. It's a whole lot more complex than many people realize, and it's pretty critical depending on the planned placement of that soil.

It's funny how things vary from country to country.

In my country Civil Engineering is one of the most popular and hardest(!) majors. I'm shocked when I read that in US CE majors have easy math and no science classes. How come? Here CEs have lotta math, physics and chemistry. Heavy coursework, hardcore calculations etc.

Well more or less here science majors (like biology, chemistry, physics, math) are considered to be easier than engineering majors (bio/che eng, CS, CE, EE, ME). Science majors have less courses, less labs and their studies aren't as demanding as engineering ones. It is said that someone who is too "stupid" to do engineering, do science so that (s)he can graduate and teach high school kids (or do PhD). Those who are intelligent enough can do "real" and practical stuff and have great job afterwards (science majors are diligent but not so smart students who can memorize unpractical stuff from books).

When you look at engineering majors, those on golden pinnacle are: CS, EE, ME, CE and super-elite: geo/petro and other majors connected with metallurgy and mining. Those are hardest, for the brightest with greatest job prospects (they all but CE (and geo/petro) end up as programmers in IT<- that's another reason why CE is so popular here - if you want to have "real" (not in sales) engineering job and you don't want to be a programmer, CE is the only way to go). Bio/che eng majors are "future housewifes majors" - they are hard but jobs in those fields are as common as in theoretical astrophysics. Engineering physics and financial engineering are considered to be majors for people too stupid to do sth serious (however people who work in finance as traders or managers are considered to be smarter than engineers).

I don't think that any eng branch is easier than another but that's how it is in my country. If you come to Germany you will find out that che eng are "elite" and it's obvious why EE is the most popular in Korea.

So I really think that saying "x majors are smarter than y majors" is pointless.

Angry Citizen said:
None of y'all have anything on aerospace.

Son: What do you do, dad?
Dad: I build rockets.
Son: MY DADS A ROCKET SCIENTIST!

There's nothing wrong with civil, it's just much less glamorous. You build the stuff that everyone needs. If you stop existing, modern life stops existing.

How DARE you call me a ROCKET SCIENTIST! I am offended and demand reparations immediately for psychological and ego damages you have caused.. Just kidding, I'm an aerospace engineer, sometimes i say that too. lol Sorry that doesn't contribute to the post.

Anyway, I have friends who are Civil engineers and I believe it's the same as above, they build things that people can't interact with, it's nonetheless very very important. But, they just don't get the recognition as other fields do because they don't produce flashy results such as giant rockets with big lasers on the front and back as can be seen in this very credible comic below.
http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=1797#comic

<h2>1. Why is Civil Engineering often looked down upon?</h2><p>There are a few potential reasons for this perception. One is that civil engineering is often seen as less glamorous or exciting compared to other fields of engineering. Another reason could be that the work of civil engineers is often less visible to the general public, leading to a lack of appreciation for their contributions. Additionally, the stereotype of civil engineers being "boring" or "stuffy" may also contribute to this perception.</p><h2>2. Is Civil Engineering considered a less important field compared to other types of engineering?</h2><p>No, civil engineering is just as important as other types of engineering. In fact, it is often referred to as the "oldest" branch of engineering, as it deals with the design, construction, and maintenance of the built environment that is essential for our daily lives. Without civil engineers, we would not have safe and functional roads, bridges, buildings, and other infrastructure.</p><h2>3. Are there any misconceptions about Civil Engineering that contribute to its negative perception?</h2><p>Yes, there are several misconceptions about civil engineering that may contribute to its negative perception. One is that it only involves manual labor and does not require advanced technical skills. In reality, civil engineers use a combination of technical knowledge, problem-solving skills, and creativity to design and build complex structures and systems. Another misconception is that it is a male-dominated field, when in fact, there are many successful female civil engineers.</p><h2>4. Are there any recent advancements in Civil Engineering that could change its perception?</h2><p>Yes, there have been many advancements in civil engineering in recent years that showcase its importance and relevance. For example, the use of new technologies such as 3D printing and drones has revolutionized the way civil engineers design and construct projects. Additionally, the focus on sustainable and environmentally-friendly practices in civil engineering has highlighted the field's role in creating a better future for our planet.</p><h2>5. How can we change the negative perception of Civil Engineering?</h2><p>One way to change the negative perception of civil engineering is by educating the public about the field and its importance. This can be done through outreach programs, school visits, and media campaigns. Additionally, highlighting the diverse and impactful work of civil engineers and celebrating their achievements can help change the perception of the field. Lastly, promoting diversity and inclusivity in the field can also help attract a wider range of individuals and showcase the diverse opportunities available in civil engineering.</p>

1. Why is Civil Engineering often looked down upon?

There are a few potential reasons for this perception. One is that civil engineering is often seen as less glamorous or exciting compared to other fields of engineering. Another reason could be that the work of civil engineers is often less visible to the general public, leading to a lack of appreciation for their contributions. Additionally, the stereotype of civil engineers being "boring" or "stuffy" may also contribute to this perception.

2. Is Civil Engineering considered a less important field compared to other types of engineering?

No, civil engineering is just as important as other types of engineering. In fact, it is often referred to as the "oldest" branch of engineering, as it deals with the design, construction, and maintenance of the built environment that is essential for our daily lives. Without civil engineers, we would not have safe and functional roads, bridges, buildings, and other infrastructure.

3. Are there any misconceptions about Civil Engineering that contribute to its negative perception?

Yes, there are several misconceptions about civil engineering that may contribute to its negative perception. One is that it only involves manual labor and does not require advanced technical skills. In reality, civil engineers use a combination of technical knowledge, problem-solving skills, and creativity to design and build complex structures and systems. Another misconception is that it is a male-dominated field, when in fact, there are many successful female civil engineers.

4. Are there any recent advancements in Civil Engineering that could change its perception?

Yes, there have been many advancements in civil engineering in recent years that showcase its importance and relevance. For example, the use of new technologies such as 3D printing and drones has revolutionized the way civil engineers design and construct projects. Additionally, the focus on sustainable and environmentally-friendly practices in civil engineering has highlighted the field's role in creating a better future for our planet.

5. How can we change the negative perception of Civil Engineering?

One way to change the negative perception of civil engineering is by educating the public about the field and its importance. This can be done through outreach programs, school visits, and media campaigns. Additionally, highlighting the diverse and impactful work of civil engineers and celebrating their achievements can help change the perception of the field. Lastly, promoting diversity and inclusivity in the field can also help attract a wider range of individuals and showcase the diverse opportunities available in civil engineering.