Why do smaller particles travel faster in gel electrophoresis?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter sameeralord
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Particles Travel
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
sameeralord
Messages
659
Reaction score
3
Hello guys,

Sorry it is electrophoresis

In electrophoresis is a similar electromotive force applied to all particles or are all particles accelerated at the same rate?

What I mean is let's say if every particle gets 10N.

F=ma and bigger particle would travel slower. So can't I include this in the answer. If they are only accelerated at the same rate I can understand how different particles would have different resistances?

So is the answer F=ma?

Thank you! :smile:
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Think about the steady state situation where each particle is traveling at a constant velocity. The electrophoretic force must be opposed by another counteracting force. What is this force, and how might it depend on particle size?