Why do some think that the job market for physics majors is terrible?

In summary: So in some sense, I'm doing physics, but I'm not doing physics.In summary, there is a discrepancy between the pessimistic views on employment in the field of physics and the actual statistics of job stability and salary. This could be due to the current economic climate and the fact that physics majors may have better job opportunities compared to other fields. However, the majority of physics majors may not end up working in the field of physics. Hard skills and flexibility may be key to finding success in the job market with a physics degree.

UT Austin is a top tier school, at the level of at least UCLA if not higher, and I'd love to go to UCLA, but I can't, and going to UT Austin is a pipe dream. And yes, UT Austin is top 10 in my field.

The big state schools you mentioned are all top tier schools. Its not like the difference between MIT and Caltech and some obsessed guys will cry if they got into MIT instead of Caltech. Its the difference between New Mexico Tech and UCLA.

Physics news on Phys.org

Astro_Dude said:
I'm quite late to this discussion, but if you want another story of the abysmal market for physics/astrophysics PhDs, here's my story:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=505903

If you don't mind me asking, how is your situation now?

I changed the title to "Why do some think that the job market for physics majors is terrible?"

Everyone doesn't think the market is terrible. Some do quite well, in fact, while others face poor or dysmal prospects, and everything in between.

Astronuc said:
I changed the title to "Why do some think that the job market for physics majors is terrible?"

Everyone doesn't think the market is terrible. Some do quite well, in fact, while others face poor or dysmal prospects, and everything in between.

A surprising choice. It's more common to disagree with someone, rather than altering what they wrote. I've seen a lot of incorrect things posted (a few from me, over the years), but can't remember an admin correcting them via direct edit.

Maybe I just haven't noticed? Policy changed? Or did this particular error cross some line?

I agree that the original title was impossible, but assumed it was intentional hyperbole.