Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why do we get SHOCK if we touch current?

  1. Sep 20, 2011 #1
    why do we get SHOCK if we touch current??

    when current pass through our body we get feeling of shock., why it happen?? person may turn black or die if exposed to high volt shock for long time?? why it hapens???:rolleyes:
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2011 #2
    Re: why do we get SHOCK if we touch current??

    Current through a resistance converts electrical energy to heat. The human body is mostly a resistance to current so it heats up. It's not supposed to be heated like that especially with high voltage or high current, so the body literally cooks like food on a hot plate but it does this internally. You are cooked from the inside like food. Like food, you sometimes burn and char.
     
  4. Sep 20, 2011 #3

    jim hardy

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

    Re: why do we get SHOCK if we touch current??

    your nerves are an electro-chemical system that work on fractions of a volt.

    mild amounts of electricity passing through them gives that "tingle"
    a little more hurts because it stimulates them harder

    1/50 of an amp through the area of your heart can make it stop.
     
  5. Sep 21, 2011 #4
    Re: why do we get SHOCK if we touch current??

    One thing important to note, it is not the voltage that kill, it's the current that kill. You can kill someone with a 9 volt battery. If you have both of you feet in two separate bucket of salt water and you connect two electrodes connected to a 9 volt battery one into each bucket of water, you'll be in deep dodo!!! Only take 10 to 20mA or so to fry a person.

    The reason if you touch higher voltage, you only get a slight shock, is because the top skin is dead and dry and not conducting any electricity. If you dip in electrolyte and get into the porous, you get good connection into the blood which has salt and you complete the circuit. If you don't believe me, lick the two terminals with your tongue!!! I test 9 volt battery with this method, if it hurts, the battery is good!!!!
     
  6. Sep 21, 2011 #5

    jim hardy

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

    Re: why do we get SHOCK if we touch current??

    if you've ever been in a small motorboat in the ocean, with everything covered with salt spray,

    you'll find you cannot hold on to even the 12 volt battery terminal.
    Salt water makes your skin so conductive that an ordinary car battery gives a painful shock.

    So make sure your battery terminals are good and tight before you leave the dock.
    It can be very difficult to tighten a loose one out there.
     
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook




Similar Discussions: Why do we get SHOCK if we touch current?
  1. Why do we use mixers? (Replies: 11)

Loading...