Why do we use low-coherence light in Optical Coherence Tomography?

In summary, the conversation discussed the principles of optical coherence tomography and the use of low coherence light. The speaker questioned why low coherence light is preferred over coherent light for measuring refracted light. The flaw in this reasoning was explained as the need for distance determination, which can be achieved through modulation of a non-coherent source. This allows for a peak to be obtained when the two paths are equal, allowing for exploration of signal intensity from various depths. Overall, OCT functions similarly to a radar, using a non-coherent source modulated by noise to obtain distance information.
red65
Hello , I study the principles of optical coherence tomography, where we emit light and by the refraction that we detect we reconstruct and image, but I don't understand why we use low coherence light , if i want to measure the refracted light i would prefer to have coherent light so that the difference in the scattered light will depend only on the form and distance of the object that refracted the light .
can anyone tell me where is the flaw in my reasoning, thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
As far as I can see, it is a radar, looking at the reflections from the various layers of the retina. If we use a pure coherent source, we have in effect a CW radar. This does not allow distance determination; the source must be modulated to obtain distance information. An ordinary radar uses a pulse modulated source to do this. With OCT, by using a non coherent source, the source is modulated by noise. By comparing the noise envelope of the signal reflected from the retina and that from a reference mirror, a peak will be obtained when the two paths are equal. It looks as if the mirror is moved back and forth slightly to explore the reflected signal intensity from various depths.

1. Why is low-coherence light used in Optical Coherence Tomography?

Low-coherence light is used in Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT) because it allows for high-resolution imaging of biological tissues. Low-coherence light sources emit light with a broad spectrum of wavelengths, which allows for a short coherence length. This short coherence length is necessary for OCT because it enables the detection of small changes in the optical path length, which is crucial for producing high-resolution images.

2. How does low-coherence light improve the image quality in OCT?

Low-coherence light improves the image quality in OCT by reducing the effects of multiple scattering. When light is scattered multiple times within a biological tissue, it can cause blurring and distortion in the image. Low-coherence light has a shorter coherence length, which means it can penetrate deeper into the tissue without being scattered, resulting in clearer and more detailed images.

3. Can other types of light sources be used in OCT?

Yes, other types of light sources can be used in OCT, such as lasers and superluminescent diodes. However, these sources emit light with a narrow spectrum of wavelengths, resulting in a longer coherence length. While this may be suitable for some imaging applications, it is not ideal for OCT, where a short coherence length is necessary for high-resolution imaging.

4. What are the limitations of using low-coherence light in OCT?

One limitation of using low-coherence light in OCT is the reduced imaging depth. As the coherence length decreases, the depth of penetration into the tissue also decreases. This can be problematic when imaging deeper structures, such as the retina or brain tissue. Additionally, low-coherence light sources can be more expensive and complex to produce compared to other light sources.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with using low-coherence light in OCT?

No, there are no known risks associated with using low-coherence light in OCT. The light used in OCT is non-ionizing and does not pose a health risk to patients. However, care must be taken to ensure that the light intensity is within safe limits to prevent any potential harm to the eye or skin.