1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why does a pressure drop in a pipe cause a force on the pipe?

1. Sep 9, 2014 #1
    Hi,

I just started a course in drilling and the first chapter is about various situations where pressure drops in the drill string (pipe) causes forces on the pipe.

I understand that a pressure drop due to friction causes a downward force on the pipe. The fluid is "pulling" the pipe down.

However, when equipment in the pipe (such as a pump) is using energy from the fluid flow as its energy source, and there is a pressure drop due to this. Why is there a downward force on the pipe?

At the nozzle of the pipe there is also a pressure drop, which causes a downward force on the pipe. Again, why does a pressure drop cause a downward force on a pipe?

Hope my question is understandable :)

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2014 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Is the pressure working against gravity so that when it is less then gravity pulls the pipe downward?

From a picture of oil drilling it seems that the drilling mud is pushed through the bottom of the pipe so that the effect would be like pushing a water hose against a wall you would feel a push back and then when the water is shutoff you would hit the wall.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted