Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why does all energy travel in waves?

1. Dec 22, 2009 #1
    i understand what a sine wave is, as well as the hertz. but im curious as to why all energy travels in a wave and not a straight line.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2009 #2
    All energy?
    A bullet fired has increased energy. Right?
    The bullet does not travel in a sine wave pattern.

Still, I assume you are talking more about things such as photons which, though, most certainly travelling in a straight line(generalized), do indeed have sine-wave components.
    An interesting question.

4. Dec 23, 2009 #3
    Generally speaking, waves occur when something has been moved away from an equilibrium position, then some kind of restoring force makes it returns to the equilibrium position, but its inertia makes it overshoot the center and it swings too far in the opposite direction, then it returns toward the center, but overshoots the center again, etc., etc. If this pattern moves along a line and travels, we get a wave.

5. Dec 26, 2009 #4
    are you talking about the de broglie hypothesis.

6. Dec 26, 2009 #5
    The current in the graph that you see (sine wave) is just a graph of t v/s current or potential...in reality it's just electrons moving in the conductor...that graph does not show any flow...it's just aaa...a graph...you know.

Mechanical waves, for e.g. do not travel in "waves"...I mean unlike the case with light, it moves with compression and rarefactions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook