Why does anxiety cause diarrhea or constipation?

In summary, anxiety can lead to both diarrhea and constipation due to the underlying physiological processes of the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems. This is due to the persistent fight-or-flight state that reduces normal digestive processing, causing problems with digestion and absorption. The evolution of this biological process may have been for survival purposes, while the function and physiology of it are related to the production of adrenaline and its effects on the GI tract muscles. Understanding both the evolution and function of this process is crucial in fully understanding its impact on the body.
Ganesh Ujwal
Anxiety sometimes cause diarrhea, sometimes constipation, and sometimes both. It's interesting because it seems their underlying neurophysiology is somehow different. What are underlying physiological processes that lead to these two symptoms in anxious people? Particularly in terms of the activity of sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system?

Biology news on Phys.org
Both?

I've never heard of the constipation aspect, but the other might be due to the fight-or-flight instinct to evacuate in order to make one unappetizing to predators.

Fight or flight responses are normal, healthy responses in which your brain allocates resources to handling an immediate threat. During this allocation, processes like digestion are given less priority. And this would be fine, since the state is usually short lived and normal functioning can resume.

Anxiety is a persistent fight-or-flight state that isn't short lived, so the reduction in normal digestive processing becomes problematic.

Pythagorean said:
Anxiety is a persistent fight-or-flight state that isn't short lived, so the reduction in normal digestive processing becomes problematic.
Gotcha.

anxiety is stimulant for the production of adrenaline... a particular effect it has is ..that it stops the contraction of the GI tract muscles
correct me if i am wrong but this would greatly effect the process of digestion and absorption and hence resulting in loose stools...diarrhea ..

Danger said:
I've never heard of the constipation aspect, but the other might be due to the fight-or-flight instinct to evacuate in order to make one unappetizing to predators.

Suraj M said:
anxiety is stimulant for the production of adrenaline... a particular effect it has is ..that it stops the contraction of the GI tract muscles
correct me if i am wrong but this would greatly effect the process of digestion and absorption and hence resulting in loose stools...diarrhea ..

I don't have anything to contribute regarding why anxiety causes diarrhoea or constipation, but I think these two different answers are interesting because they highlight the fact that "why does (biological process) happen?" is actually two different questions:
  1. How did (biological process) evolve? What is its selective advantage? What's the "reason" this process occurs? (The "reason" being in terms of selective advantage and adaptational value, of course, within a framework of random variation acted upon by natural selection - we must be careful not to let teleology seep into our biological explanation!) An example would be asking "Why do plants contain chlorophyll?" and answering that question by talking about the circumstances under which chlorophyll evolved and the selective advantage that pigment has when it comes to efficient photosynthesis. Danger's answer is an answer of this type - talking about why this particular biological process would have been a selective advantage.
  2. How does (biological process) work? What is its function? What's the physiology behind it? For the same "Why do plants contain chlorophyll?" question, an answer in these terms would talk about the role chlorophyll plays in absorbing photons in the light-dependent reactions, and explain the physiology and biochemistry of how photosynthesis works. Suraj M's answer is an answer of this type - talking about how this biological process works at the level of physiology and hormones.
Both types of answers are essential to understand any biological process fully, but I think it's important to understand that any "Why?" question in biology will have at least two different answers.

Likes Suraj M

1. Why does anxiety cause changes in bowel movements?

Anxiety is a natural response to stress and can cause physical symptoms, including changes in bowel movements. When we experience anxiety, our body releases stress hormones which can affect the digestive system and lead to diarrhea or constipation.

2. How does anxiety affect the digestive system?

Anxiety can affect the digestive system in multiple ways. It can cause the muscles in the digestive tract to contract, leading to diarrhea. On the other hand, it can also slow down digestion and cause constipation. Additionally, anxiety can also disrupt the balance of bacteria in the gut, which can further contribute to digestive issues.

3. Can anxiety cause chronic diarrhea or constipation?

In some cases, anxiety can lead to chronic diarrhea or constipation. This can happen when a person experiences frequent or long-term anxiety, which can continuously affect the digestive system. It is important to talk to a doctor if you experience chronic digestive issues due to anxiety.

4. How can I manage anxiety-related digestive issues?

Managing anxiety is key to managing its effects on the digestive system. Techniques such as relaxation exercises, therapy, and medication can help reduce anxiety levels and in turn, improve digestive symptoms. Additionally, maintaining a healthy diet and regular exercise can also help improve overall digestive health.

5. Can anxiety medication worsen digestive issues?

Some anxiety medications can have side effects that affect the digestive system, such as diarrhea or constipation. However, this is not the case for all anxiety medications, and it is important to talk to a doctor about any concerns or side effects you may be experiencing. Your doctor can work with you to find the best treatment option for your anxiety that minimizes digestive issues.