Why does connecting a bjt backwards work?

• Thread starter rytmenpinne
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bjt Work
In summary, when swapping the emitter and collector of a bipolar junction transistor, it may still "work" but will not perform optimally as it would when connected the correct way, due to differences in doping and geometry.
rytmenpinne
I'm trying to understand transistors so I bought a couple and have been doing some reading, I basicly got it but some quick experiments have me dumbfounded..

I have the most basic NPN transistor circuit setup http://amasci.com/amateur/transis2.html like thatone, only with a loudspeaker instead.. Now, why does it still work as expected if I simply flip/reverse the transistor so the collector connects to the '-'poles on the batteries?

This is actually the behaviour I've expected since NPN is symetrical, But I've understood that there is in fact a difference between the collector and the emitter. Enlighten me!

Engineering news on Phys.org
You are right that most bipolar junction transistors will "work" when the emiitter and collector are swapped over. As you said, conceptually the 3-layered structure "looks the same" from either side, even though the physical structure does not have symmetrical geometry, and the level of doping (deliberate impurities) in the two N regions is different.

The transistor will only match the parameters in its data sheet if it is connected the right way round. Otherwise, you will probably get lower gain (beta), higher electrical noise and leakage current, lower power dissipation limit, etc.

1. How does a BJT work?

A BJT, or bipolar junction transistor, is a three-layer semiconductor device that amplifies or switches electrical signals. It consists of two PN junctions, which are formed by two different types of doped semiconductor material, and three regions known as the emitter, base, and collector.

2. Why does connecting a BJT backwards work?

When a BJT is connected backwards, it acts as a diode. This is because the emitter-base junction is reverse biased and the collector-base junction is forward biased. In this configuration, the BJT can still conduct a small amount of current, but it cannot amplify or switch signals as effectively as when it is connected correctly.

3. Can connecting a BJT backwards damage it?

Connecting a BJT backwards can cause it to overheat and potentially damage it. This is because the reverse-biased emitter-base junction acts as a diode and can allow a large amount of current to flow through the device, leading to thermal breakdown.

4. What is the purpose of connecting a BJT backwards?

Connecting a BJT backwards can be useful in certain circuit applications, such as in voltage regulators, where it acts as a protection diode. It can also be used for temperature sensing, as the reverse leakage current through the emitter-base junction is temperature dependent.

5. How do you determine which terminal is the emitter, base, and collector on a BJT?

The emitter terminal of a BJT is typically indicated by an arrow or triangle symbol on the device. The base terminal is usually connected to the smaller of the two PN junctions, and the collector is connected to the larger PN junction. Additionally, the collector is usually connected to the metal tab or larger terminal on the device.