1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why does i(t)=dq(t)/dt give the value of AC current only?

1. Nov 11, 2011 #1
    I know the mathematical and geometrical reason, but does there exist a physical interpretation behind this?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2011 #2

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am not sure what you mean.
    That formula works for DC as well. An "exotic" example would be a single electron pump where the (dc) current is given by the number of electrons pumped per second...

4. Nov 11, 2011 #3
    I don't believe it does. Say that a constant 10 Coulombs of charge per second is flowing through a conductor. This would be equivalent of 10 Amps of current. The rate of change in Coulombs per second is zero. So the equation i(t)=dq(t)/dt would yield zero also.

5. Nov 11, 2011 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

!? The rate at which charges move is dq/dt. That is the current. You appear to be confusing dq/dt with d2q/dt2. The rate of change of charge flow is not the same as the rate of charge flow.

AM

6. Nov 11, 2011 #5
    No, it is 10 amps of current.

7. Nov 11, 2011 #6
    Say at t = 2 seconds there is 10 Coulombs flowing in the conductor, at t = 3 seconds there is 10 Coulombs flowing in the conductor. A simplified way of figuring dq/dt would be (10 - 10) / (3 - 2) = 0. A slope of a horizontal line is always zero.

d2q/dt2 is the rate of change of the rate of change.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  8. Nov 11, 2011 #7
    There is or there are?

But no, there are 10 coulombs per second flowing.

If you re-examine your units you will understand what everyone is telling you.

9. Nov 11, 2011 #8
    It helps if you think in terms of current DENSITY at first:
    J = ρ.v = ρ.(dx/dt)

Now consider a cross-section of your conductor and perform a surface integral, the result:
    I = (dq/dx) (dx/dt) = dq/dt

So the proper interpretation of the dq/dt term is the rate of charges that cross a certain reference surface. So even for a DC current of, say, 10 A, then every second 10 C cross that surface.

10. Nov 11, 2011 #9
    OK I get it now. I was thinking in terms of current flow, not charge flow. At t=2, 20 coulombs have flown through a conductor. At t=3 30 coulombs have flown through a conductor. So (30 - 20) / (3 - 2) = 10 coulombs per second. The coulomb count is accumulative.

Sorry for the confusion (and bad grammar) - watching a two-year old can cause a lack of concentration.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook