Why does intensity mean anything if there's a complex number

In summary, complex numbers are used in science to represent quantities with both magnitude and direction, such as electric current or force. They allow for calculations and problem-solving that would not be possible with only real numbers. In terms of intensity, complex numbers use the magnitude and angle to represent the power or strength of a signal or physical phenomenon. The imaginary unit, represented by "i", allows for working with numbers that cannot be represented by real numbers alone and is often used to represent the phase or direction of a quantity. In complex analysis, intensity is described as the modulus or absolute value of a complex number, taking into account both the magnitude and direction. In contrast, real analysis typically only considers the absolute value of a real number. Complex numbers with
yosimba2000
So say a wave is described by Acos(Φ), completely real.

Then the to use Euler's Eq, we we say the wave is Ae, which is expanded to Acos(Φ) + iAsin(Φ). We tell ourselves that we just ignore the imaginary part and only keep the real part.

And if intensity is |Ae|2, which is (Acos(Φ) + iAsin(Φ)) * (Acos(Φ) - iAsin(Φ)), we get A2cos2(Φ) + A2sin2(Φ).

So why do we take the sin(Φ) part in the intensity result, instead of just taking the cos(Φ) part?

Physics news on Phys.org
yosimba2000 said:
say a wave is described by Acos(Φ), completely real.

Then the to use Euler's Eq, we we say the wave is AeiΦ,

You just contradicted yourself. Either the wave is described by ##A \cos \Phi##, or it's described by ##A e^{i \Phi}##. You have to pick one; it can't be both.

It might help if you would give an actual concrete problem, preferably from a reference such as a textbook or peer-reviewed paper, where you encountered this.

PeterDonis said:
You just contradicted yourself. Either the wave is described by ##A \cos \Phi##, or it's described by ##A e^{i \Phi}##. You have to pick one; it can't be both.

It might help if you would give an actual concrete problem, preferably from a reference such as a textbook or peer-reviewed paper, where you encountered this.

Can you explain? I thought Euler's equation was only used as convenience because it's easier to write down or something. For example when dealing with sinusoidal voltages, they are expressed in Euler's equation, but only the real part of it has any meaning.

yosimba2000 said:
I thought Euler's equation was only used as convenience

In which case your question makes no sense, because it assumes that there is some actual difference between writing ##A \cos \Phi## and ##A e^{i \Phi}##.

You really need to give a specific reference for where you are getting all this from.

PeterDonis said:
In which case your question makes no sense, because it assumes that there is some actual difference between writing ##A \cos \Phi## and ##A e^{i \Phi}##.

You really need to give a specific reference for where you are getting all this from.

I'm getting this from the first page of Chapter 1 at the bottom paragraph.

Attachments

• Notes-1.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 501
yosimba2000 said:
I'm getting this from the first page of Chapter 1 at the bottom paragraph.

So which case do you want to discuss, a classical wave or a quantum wave function? The notes you reference are about the quantum case; they only mention the classical case for comparison.

I want to discuss the quantum case. I was assuming the reason why we used Euler's formula for the classical case (convenience) was also the same reason why we used it in the quantum case.

yosimba2000 said:
I was assuming the reason why we used Euler's formula for the classical case (convenience) was also the same reason why we used it in the quantum case.

You assumed incorrectly, as the passage you referenced from the notes you referenced should make obvious.

yosimba2000 said:
I want to discuss the quantum case.

If you want more discussion of that case, in case the response I gave in post #8 just now isn't enough, please start a new thread in the Quantum Physics forum, and please formulate your question to make it clear that you're asking about the quantum case, and what exactly you are asking about.

This thread is closed.

1. Why do we use complex numbers in science?

Complex numbers are used in science to represent quantities that have both magnitude and direction, such as electrical current or force. They allow us to perform calculations and solve problems that would not be possible with only real numbers. In many physical systems, complex numbers are the most accurate and efficient way to describe and analyze the behavior of a system.

2. How does intensity relate to complex numbers?

Intensity is a measure of the power or strength of a signal or physical phenomenon. In the context of complex numbers, intensity is often represented by the magnitude of the complex number, while the direction or phase is represented by the angle. This allows us to understand and analyze the intensity of complex quantities, such as electric or magnetic fields, in a more comprehensive way.

3. What does the imaginary unit represent in complex numbers?

The imaginary unit, represented by the letter "i", is a fundamental component of complex numbers. It is defined as the square root of -1, and it allows us to work with numbers that cannot be represented by real numbers alone. In science, the imaginary unit is often used to represent the phase or direction of a quantity, while the real part represents the magnitude.

4. How does the concept of intensity change in complex analysis?

In complex analysis, intensity is often described as the modulus or absolute value of a complex number. This takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the complex quantity. In contrast, in real analysis, intensity is typically represented by the absolute value of a real number, which only considers the magnitude.

5. Why do we need to consider both real and imaginary components in complex numbers?

In many physical systems, quantities are best represented by complex numbers because they have both real and imaginary components. The real component represents the part of the system that is directly measurable or observable, while the imaginary component represents a phase or direction that is important for understanding the behavior of the system. Neglecting either component would result in an incomplete or inaccurate representation of the system.