Why does Polychoric Reduce to two Factors?

• A
  • Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factors
In summary, Polychoric correlation coefficient is used to find the correlation between non-continuous ordered variables (observations of continuous latent variables). The result whereby there are just two underlying latent variables is not clear to the author. However, from the correlation matrix, we can do standard Factor Analysis.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi All,
Say we have our ordered non-continuous variables to perform Polychoric Analysis ( finding the
Polychoric correlation coefficient)
According to the theory, we will find this way, the standard Person correlation coefficient
between the underlying continuous latent variables ( Non-continuous ordered variables are
observations of these continuous latent variables; e.g., symptoms of depression, anxiety, etc.).
There is a result whereby there are just two underlying latent variables. I am just not clear
on what this means that there are just two underlying latent variables; before of, or while performing
the Polychoric analysis, we get a correlation matrix. From the correlation matrix we can do standard Factor
Analysis. But, what does it mean we just get two factors? Do we mean the correlation matrix will just have
two eigenvalues larger than 1? Or will all variables load along just two main factors?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not understanding. I think it sounds like a binomial distribution, and I reserve the right to be wrong here. So correct me please. It seems binary to me.

If what I said is correct (from wikpedia)-
SAS/STAT® software can perform a factor analysis on binary and ordinal data. To fit a common factor model, there are two approaches (both known as Latent Trait models): The first approach is to create a matrix of tetrachoric correlations (for binary variables) or polychoric correlations (for ordinal variables).
https://it.unt.edu/sites/default/files/binaryfa_l_jds_sep2014.pdf

Likes WWGD
jim mcnamara said:
I'm not understanding. I think it sounds like a binomial distribution, and I reserve the right to be wrong here. So correct me please. It seems binary to me.

If what I said is correct (from wikpedia)-

https://it.unt.edu/sites/default/files/binaryfa_l_jds_sep2014.pdf
My apologies Jim, I was mistaken about this, I have been told by people more knowledgeable on the topic of Polychorics. EDIT: I mean, as you said, the matrix is defined on ordinal ( basically any non-continuous variable that is not categorical) variables, it will produce a standard Pearson correlation matrix ## C_{ij}## where ## c_{ij}## is the correlation between continuous underlying variables i and j. Once we have a Pearson correlation matrix, we can do standard Factor Analysis and then we may get any number of (latent, continuous ) factors ( we will have Real eigenvalues since the correlation matrix is symmetric: ## c_{ij}=c_{ji} ## ) and then we may choose on how many we select , depending on the loadings and/or whether the eigenvalues are greater than 1 ( in abs. value ). But I misunderstood that there had to be two. Thanks for the answer.

Last edited:

1. Why does Polychoric Reduce to two Factors?

Polychoric correlation is a statistical method used to measure the relationship between two ordinal variables. It assumes that the underlying relationship between the two variables can be best explained by two underlying factors. These factors are often referred to as "latent factors" or "hidden variables". Therefore, the polychoric correlation reduces to two factors because it is based on the assumption that there are only two underlying factors influencing the relationship between the ordinal variables.

2. How is Polychoric Correlation different from Pearson Correlation?

Polychoric correlation is used when the variables being analyzed are ordinal in nature, whereas Pearson correlation is used for continuous variables. Additionally, polychoric correlation takes into account the non-normality of ordinal data, while Pearson correlation assumes that the data is normally distributed. Lastly, polychoric correlation is based on the assumption of two underlying factors, while Pearson correlation does not make any assumptions about the underlying factors.

3. Can Polychoric Correlation be used for categorical data?

No, polychoric correlation is not suitable for categorical data. It is specifically designed for ordinal variables, where the categories have a natural ordering. For categorical data, other methods such as Spearman correlation or Kendall's tau are more appropriate.

4. How is Polychoric Correlation calculated?

Polychoric correlation is calculated using maximum likelihood estimation, which is a statistical method used to estimate the parameters of a model based on the observed data. The polychoric correlation coefficient is a measure of how well the data fits a two-factor model, with values ranging from -1 to 1, where -1 indicates a perfect negative relationship, 0 indicates no relationship, and 1 indicates a perfect positive relationship.

5. In what situations is Polychoric Correlation most useful?

Polychoric correlation is most useful when analyzing the relationship between two ordinal variables with a large number of categories or when the data is non-normally distributed. It is also useful when studying phenomena that are difficult to measure directly, such as attitudes or behaviors. Additionally, polychoric correlation is often used in psychology and social sciences research, as many psychological and social constructs are best measured using ordinal scales.