Why does reversibility require equilibrium?

phyahmad
my question is short simply why reversibility requires equilibrium?

Science news on Phys.org
What research have you done about this question? Can you post links to your reading that led to this question? Thanks.

Likes Vanadium 50
berkeman said:
What research have you done about this question? Can you post links to your reading that led to this question? Thanks.
I was studying mehran kerdarbook on statistical mechanics of particles

In irreversible processes, transport of mass, momentum and heat occur at finite rates, and these cannot be reversed for the system without also bringing about a net change in the surroundings. Mass transfer involves diffusion at finite rates. Momentum transfer involves viscous dissipation of mechanical energy to internal energy and involves finite viscous stresses at finite deformation rates. Heat Transfer involves heat conduction at finite temperature gradients. All of these involve entropy generation within the system, rather than entropy transport via heat flow across the boundary of the system.

Likes phyahmad and Bystander
Chestermiller said:
In irreversible processes, transport of mass, momentum and heat occur at finite rates, and these cannot be reversed for the system without also bringing about a net change in the surroundings. Mass transfer involves diffusion at finite rates. Momentum transfer involves viscous dissipation of mechanical energy to internal energy and involves finite viscous stresses at finite deformation rates. Heat Transfer involves heat conduction at finite temperature gradients. All of these involve entropy generation within the system, rather than entropy transport via heat flow across the boundary of the system.
Where can I learn about boltzmann's H theorem?

I don’t even know what that is.

• Skeptical
Likes pines-demon