1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics - reversibility and heat addition

1. Feb 19, 2008 #1
    I understand entropy is a state function, insofar as we deny the existence of irreversible cycles. However, for a said change of state, the heat transferred as a result of a reversible change is greater than that for an irreversible change. This is simply a reiteration of the Clausius inequality, as because entropy is a state function, a change dS is greater for a dq/T if dq is irreversible. However, it seems to me that it does not logically make sense for more heat having to be added for a reversible change. What is it about reversibility that requires more heat to be added to change states? I understand that entropy works out if the former statement is true; however, I guess I just don't understand how logically more heat is needed to effect a reversible change of state rather than an irreversible one. Where does the extra heat go if the final states are the same?

- Thanks

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted