Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why does the Darlington configuration work the way it does?

1. Jul 29, 2015 #1
    I know the Darlington configuration is supposed to sky rocket the beta value of the system, but this is only assuming the pair can handle that current right? It's a silly question but I just wanted to confirm...

I have two low current capacity transistors (I_max= 0.2A). so the setup can only handle a max of... 0.4A?

edit:

Is the configuration able to draw and handle more current than the combined Imax or does it just give u a high beta value?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2015 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hi there

the current gain of a Darlington pair is the sum of the gain (beta) of each transistor multiplied together
    the advantage of this is that very small currents, like that from output pins of a microcontroller ( processor) can be used to switch high current loads
    eg a Darlington pair with a current gain (Beta) of 1000 means that 1A could be switched with as little as 1mA.

No, read on :)

The current switching capability is still limited by the main ( output) transistor of the pair. This is because the driver transistor ( the first one) isn't passing any large current via its collector and emitter and into the base of the main transistor

Dave

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook